Possible security vulnerability?

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 1, 2013   (RSS)

By mizrahi - July 31, 2013

I received the following message from a client...

I happened to notice a potential issue with the security of the site.  In Google Analytics it showed some visits like this:

/en-us/solutions/product.php?' or 1=1;--

which is a sign of a sql injection test.  As far as I can tell, your site may be susceptible to a "blind" sql injection, because the page I just mentioned looks different than the page /en-us/solutions/product.php.   That allows the True/False test which blind sql injection is based upon.  I'm not sure if you are susceptible or not, just thought I'd point it out.”  

Is this a valid concern? If not, can you help me with a response to ease their concerns?

thanks

By Steve99 - July 31, 2013

Hi mizrahi,

Your client is correct in that it's a blind sql injection test. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I found the site you are referencing and checked out the products page. It looks like you're using a standard "list page" section editor with default record loading. The page looks "different" to them because it's a dynamic page that loads content based on the record number in the URL, or it defaults to the first record. But you know this already, you built the site :)

That being said, I would not worry. CMS Builder is a solid platform. Also, anything that is output "as is" from the code generator won't have any security issues. If the "default" record loading code is customized by a developer by using more complex queries with variables that aren't properly escaped, then yes - that could present a security vulnerability. 

What this seems to be is a case of  "client sees things in Google Analytics reporting, Googles what they saw and reads part of an article"   :)

Cheers,
Steve

By mizrahi - August 1, 2013

Thanks steve99. Your thoughts mirror mine.

Could I also get the input of an interactive tools representative on this issue?