CMS Installation - MBSTRING error

3 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 5, 2013   (RSS)

By gregThomas - June 4, 2013

Hi Ross, 

The problem with safe_mode is that the host can disable arbitrary parts of PHP, so you never really know what's going to work and what won't, and you get strange errors (and sometimes none).

The main issues people have when safe mode is enabled is with uploading files, sometimes they are unable to upload some types of files, or in extreme cases, any files at all. So the main thing I would check is that uploads are working correctly.

If you've tested the CMS and can't find any errors or issues then you're probably OK.

Let me know if you run into any issues. 

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Dave - June 5, 2013

Hi Ross, 

I'll just add to that including mbstring and disabling safe_mode are very common these days.  The PHP developers have actually even removed safe_mode as of PHP5.4+
http://php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php

The software isn't designed or tested to run on an old, non-standard server as you've described, so there may be odd errors and issues that may end up costing more development time to resolve.

That said, the easiest way to convince your client to switch or upgrade might be to just advise them of that, wait for a problem, and then when that happens ask them if they want to pay you to try and work around it or get better hosting.  And another option might be to ask the host if they have a different plan with the required features.  I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com