A table related to itself / advanced mysql select question

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 30, 2013   (RSS)

By mizrahi - May 29, 2013 - edited: May 29, 2013

I have a table (portfolio_projects) that consists of a large number of portfolio projects. and I am trying to setup a fields of "Related Projects". this will be a multiselect list of the exact same table so the user can select other projects that area similar. But I want this list to show every project except for the one currently being edited. I am trying to use the advanced mysql query (see below), but it's not filtering out the current project. 

SELECT num, CONCAT(client,' / ',title)
  FROM `<?php echo $TABLE_PREFIX ?>portfolio_projects`
  WHERE hidden=0 AND num!="<?php echo $ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE['num'] ?>"

I am sure the answer lies in my misuse of "<?php echo $ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE['num'] ?>" but i am not sure how to resolve this.

Help?

By mizrahi - May 29, 2013

Exactly what I needed.

I have a question though, can you explain the first line of your code? I have never seen/used something like the second half of that statement and I am not clear on what it's doing.

thanks.

By gregThomas - May 30, 2013

Glad you've got it working. 

The first line of code is a way to create a simplified if statement, if you wrote it using if/else it would look like this:

if(@$ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE){
  $numValue = $ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE
}else{
  $numValue = '0'
}

But it can be shorted to:

<?php $numValue = (@$ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE)? $ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE : '0'; ?>

So $numValue will be equal to $ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE if it exists, else it will be equal to zero. But you could put any normal if statement in the brackets, eg:

<?php $weatherString = ($temperature > 30)? 'Hot' : 'Cold'; ?>

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com