Category Sections - Access Rights

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 19, 2013   (RSS)

By Perchpole - April 19, 2013

Hello, All -

Can we implement a better/more flexible approach to the access rights for category editors? This has come up before - but still hasn't been resolved (to my knowledge).

Currently, for all other types of editors, it is possible to set the access as Viewer, Author & Viewer, Author and Editor. However with categories you just have the choice of Editor and that's it! This is giving me a real headache with my latest project in which I have effectively merged the traditional use of categories and records into one single editor.

The only downside is I cannot easilly control the access. Can we do anything, please?!

:0/

Perch

Hi Perch,

The reason that the only option for a category menu is Editor is that it would be difficult to manage a category menu using the viewer/Author Viewer System.

For example what if a user wants to add an item to a category created by someone else. Should a user be able to reorder the items of another user. What if a user wants to delete an item, but there are sub categories to it that have been created by someone else. 

The best way to manage a category menu is to have an editor who maintains a categories section, and then have a second mutli record section and use a list field to associate an article with a category item. That way viewer/author users can create articles and associate them with a category record without having to deal with the issues of having multiple people managing a category menu. 

It would be great to implement a viewer/author system for the categories section if you have any suggestions for how we could implement the system and keep it simple.

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com