Hook Request

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: March 5, 2013   (RSS)

By ITI - March 5, 2013 - edited: March 5, 2013

Hi IA staff.

I'm creating a new plugin and with the current "Hook" list I am able to modify the "out put" to suit my plugin except in the "Section Editors" > "table" > "Field Editor".

In lib/database_functions.php, the function loadSchema($tableName, $schemaDir = '') is called prior to the "Field Editor" opening which over rides any plugin modification I have made else where.

Adding a hook in this function would allow for easy modifications to the "Field Editor" dialogue.

function loadSchema($tableName, $schemaDir = '') {
  global $APP;
  // error checking
  if (!$tableName)                                       { die(__FUNCTION__ . ": no tableName specified!"); }
  if (preg_match('/[^a-zA-Z0-9\-\_\(\)]+/', $tableName)) { die(__FUNCTION__ . ": tableName '" .htmlspecialchars($tableName). "' contains invalid characters!"); }

// get schemapath
  $tableNameWithoutPrefix = getTableNameWithoutPrefix($tableName);
  if (!$schemaDir) { $schemaFilepath = DATA_DIR . "/schema/$tableNameWithoutPrefix.ini.php"; }
  else             { $schemaFilepath = "$schemaDir/". getTableNameWithoutPrefix($tableName) . ".ini.php"; }

// load schema
  $schema = array();
  if (file_exists($schemaFilepath)) {
    $schema = loadStructOrINI($schemaFilepath);
  }

// add _tableName (v2.16+)
  if ($schema) {
    $schema['_tableName'] = $tableNameWithoutPrefix;
  }

doAction("new_loadSchema_hook",$tableName,$schemaDir);
  //
  return $schema;
}

As side from solving my plugin issue, it would seem that this is an ideal location for more advance customization due to the existence of the 2nd parameter "$schemaDir". 

Would you consider adding a "hook" at this location in your next release?

Alternatively, can you suggest a way of intercepting the output to perform modifications?

Glen

http://www.CanadianDomainRegistry.ca

ITI Internetworking Technologies Inc.

By Dave - March 5, 2013

Hi Glen, 

>Alternatively, can you suggest a way of intercepting the output to perform modifications?

Sometimes we just modify the $schema global after it's been loaded.  

Can you let me know some more details on what you're trying to do?  I'll try and suggest some options.

Thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By ITI - March 5, 2013

Hi Dave

Since writing the post, I believe I have found a better and more appropriate solution to my issue.

Basically I want to change the menuNames and set warnings in the interface if the plugin isn't activated. I can't have the end user modifying table data if the plugin isn't active since a lot of the input data is in hidden calculated fields.

I'm just in the process of testing the use of hooks "plugin_activate and plugin_deactivate".  These appear to be far more appropriate for what I am trying to achieve including the hiding the tables altogether (when not active).

Anyway, with all the code review and investigation I had done, there is no way (that I could find) to do any customization to the "Edit Field" dialog since the call to loadSchema() is just prior to showing the dialog content. I was mainly looking at the schema data not any of the global vars.

So, although it does look like I will need the hook I was asking about I still think it might be a useful hook for some thing else in the future.

My post should be revised to "A good place to add a hook" !

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

Glen

By ITI - March 5, 2013 - edited: March 6, 2013

Thanks Dave.

I was already using the "'menuHidden'" key in the plugin_activate/deactivate hooks which addressed the user input issues.

I was not aware of that schema key ''tableHidden'' which addresses my concerns in the section editor, thanks for  bringing that to my attention.  I've tested it and that works perfectly.

I don't think this will need to be a system plugin with the use of the keys mentioned above.

After entering the plugin file name in 'Required Plugins'  it didn't do any thing.  But I suspect it would if I required a plugin other than 'itself".  The two keys above do the trick so I won't pursue this.

I now understand how the "Required Plugin" works. It adds a little insurance but as with the keys, if the user manually edits the schema file we've lost control anyway.

Thanks for the tips.

Glen