Is it support FTP upload to cmsAdmin/uploads?

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 15, 2012   (RSS)

By jacgo - November 15, 2012 - edited: November 15, 2012

Hi

There are too much files on my site.

Questions:
1)
Is it support FTP upload?
I can upload all my files to cmsAdmin/uploads
than deal it on cmsAdmin panel.

2)
There are only 4 folder on cmsAdmin/uploads
thumb
thumb2
thumb3
thumb4

Can I create more folders to manage my files?

Thanks a lot!

Jac

Re: [jacgo] Is it support FTP upload to cmsAdmin/uploads?

By gkornbluth - November 15, 2012 - edited: November 15, 2012

Hi Jac,

1) You can't upload images and other files to the Uploads folder with FTP, without some complex custom code to write the appropriate values to the various databases that keep track of which files belong to which record and field.

If you need that ability, contact consulting@interactivetools.com and I'm sure they'll be able to give you an idea of the cost involved.

2) You can create separate upload folders for NEW upload fields.

When you create the NEW upload field, click on the advanced options, scroll down, and check the box that says use custom upload directory. Then fill in the name of the directory (a sub directory of the uploads folder) and path you'd like to use, following the examples that appear. Don't forget the trailing slash.

You'll need to manually create the new directory in the uploads directory. You don't need to create the thumbs folders, they will be created automatically.

NOTE: As far as I can tell, if you create or re-name a custom upload directory after there have been uploads to the original directory, any prior images or uploads in the original directory will not be found.

Also, have a look at this post http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=93358

Hope that helps you.

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Is it support FTP upload to cmsAdmin/uploads?

By gregThomas - November 15, 2012

Hi Jac,

Just thought I'd add that you can create and add as many files and directories to the upload directory as you want, but as Jerry said, these will not appear in CMS Builder unless you have uploaded them using it. You should also be careful not to move/rename files and directories using FTP that were created with CMS Builder, as CMS Builder will not have stored the paths to there new location.

If you want to upload files using FTP your best bet is to store them in a different folder to uploads to avoid accidently deleting/moving/renaming CMS Builder uploaded files.

Thanks!
Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com