Newsletter Builder - SMTP Server?

By gversion - September 10, 2012

Hello,

This new plugin looks great!

Is it possible to choose whether I want emails to be sent via sendmail or via a dedicated SMTP server?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: [gversion] Newsletter Builder - SMTP Server?

By Dave - September 10, 2012

Hi Greg,

You should be able to configure that through PHP. If you go to Admin > General Settings > Server Info > phpinfo
Direct Link: admin.php?menu=admin&action=phpinfo

And search for "SMTP" you can see what PHP has the SMTP server set to. The value of the left is the one that is used and is called the "Local Value" and the one of the right is the default value (from PHP.ini) and is called the "master value".

If your servers supports .htaccess files you can try adding this to your .htaccess file:
php_value SMTP mail.example.com

Or add this to the top of the newsletterBuilder.php plugin just above where the code starts:
// hard-code SMTP server (if required)
ini_set('SMTP', 'mail.example.com');

$GLOBALS['NEWSLETTER_BUILDER_PLUGIN'] = "Newsletter Builder"; // this is used ...

Then refresh the phpinfo page and see if the left value for SMTP changed. If it did, send a newsletter out to your test list and confirm it gets received ok.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [gversion] Newsletter Builder - SMTP Server?

By Dave - September 10, 2012

Hi Greg,

Unfortunately neither the software nor PHP supports SMTP authentication.

You could try asking your SMTP provider if they could add your server's IP to a whitelist so it wouldn't require SMTP authentication.

Let me know how that goes.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com