PHP4 Support

6 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 31, 2012   (RSS)

By ILLUME-MEDIA-LABS - March 28, 2010

Hi,

I am on a shared hosting and my server is running PHP Version 4.3.11.

I upgraded to php5 and installed CMSBuilding, however this messed up my existing AM2 site which runs ssi based on php4.

When I downgraded the server back to php4, I get the following error messages when running admin.php.

"This program requires the PHP 'mbstring' extension.
Please ask your hosting provider (or server administrator) to install missing PHP extension(s)."

Is there a workaround with php4? Because I am on a shared hosting plan, I cannot modify the actual php.ini file on the server due to restrictions.

Thanks.

Re: [Illume Magazine] PHP4 Support

By Dave - March 28, 2010

Have you tried asking your host to install the 'mbstring' extension for PHP4? It's pretty common, I'm surprised they don't have it.

Give that a try and let me know if you continue to have problems and if so I'll see if I can come up with a workaround for you.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [SkidderChains] PHP4 Support

By Dave - May 30, 2012

Hi SkidderChains,

What were the 3 directions they sent you to fix the problem? There's not a lot that can be done with a host that doesn't want to help, but maybe we can get some of those instructions working.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] PHP4 Support

By SkidderChains - May 31, 2012

They told me the following..... to change the htaccess file...and sent me two different links to PHP forums that were supposed to show me how to turn on the extensions. Neither of which were helpful or worked. I ended up fixing the problem but upgrading the from PHP4 to PHP5. Figured that out from a comment on a different discussion on this forum. Checked it out and sure enough, PHP4 was running on the server. Went into the control panel and changed to PHP5...about 30 minutes later everything working fine.

Re: [SkidderChains] PHP4 Support

By Jason - May 31, 2012

Hi,

Glad to hear you get everything working. It's strange that they didn't help you out with that, but it's great that you're up and running now.

Please let us know if you run into any issues or have any questions.

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/