A few pointers please

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 15, 2012   (RSS)

By Rewmer - May 9, 2012

Hi Guys,

Well I got my CSMB installed and up and running in a jiffy, all went very smoothly. Now the hard part - working out how to use it !!! I need to try and work out how CSMB thinks to help me understand how to use it, so to that end Ive done a bit of playing and experimenting and come up with some theories / thoughts

1. Images - Am I right in thinking that when I use an upload field in my section editor, the images uploaded are not uploaded direct to the database, but to a upload folder and a note is made in the database of its location ? Also a thumbnail image is created at the same time ?

2. I am trying to set up a simple "catalog" using a multi record ? . Ive input some stuff into the DB and created my code for insertion into my exsisting cataloge page, question is, do I have to create another page from my site template that acts as the viewer for the details from the first list page ?

If someone could just give me a quick yes / No / idiot, I would be most gratefull. - next issue - lightbox ( if I get that far) [cool]

Re: [Rewmer] A few pointers please

By zip222 - May 9, 2012

You seem to be on the right track. The answer to all of your questions is "Yes".

By rconring - May 9, 2012

Welcome to the CMSB community. You have made a wise choice.
You want to be sure you supply the names of the product list page and the product detail page in the Viewers tab of the Section editor. It will then generate the proper PHP code for the list page and the detail page. You need to generate each one separately.
Don't hesitate to post questions on this forum. There is always someone willing to help.
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

Re: [rconring] A few pointers please

By Rewmer - May 10, 2012 - edited: May 10, 2012

Thanks for the tips guys, at least I am heading in the right direction. Ron - I hadnt spotted that one as yet but have now made a note and I think I have found the relative section. Talking of relative, does it make a difference if I use relative or absolute paths, is there a prefered method ?
Edit:
Something else has just just occured to me, how do I differentiate what information is displayed on the list page and the detail page ?

By Rewmer - May 10, 2012

Thanks Ron - that would be a great help. So the bottom line is I need to populate my records with plenty of fields then I can pick and choose which ones display on either the list page or detail page ?
I think I am getting it now, I can see this is going to be a very powerful tool.

By rconring - May 15, 2012

Hey ... I'm sorry for not following up on the sample code. For the past few days I have been fighting hosting server issues. It seems someone exploited one of my sites that was vulnerable to attack ... the only site that has Wordpress installed. I downloaded the Exploit Scanner and have been checking all my sites and have found no other threats so far.

I will have some time now to help get you started if you still need help. Email me directly from my profile so I can email you any sample code aside from the forum.
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

By Rewmer - May 15, 2012

Ron, Thanks very much. Ive been having a good play around and discovered a few things. My biggest issue at the moment is getting the two or three upload thumbnails to display in seperate tables.......

Any tips you have would be most welcome.

By Damon - May 15, 2012

Hi,

I just sent you an email with an example.

When you have images appearing in different columns in a html table, one option is to setup different upload fields for each column.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or any other setup questions.
Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Damon] A few pointers please

By Rewmer - May 15, 2012

Just to reiterate what I said in my email Damon, thanks very much. Adding another upload field ! - simple really. Sometimes you cant see the answer for looking.Great work, much appreciated.