Basic Explanation of Category Menus Needed

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 9, 2012   (RSS)

By macwebster - March 25, 2011

Hi,
It's 2011 and I still don't see any clear explanation of Category Menus, both a clear description of how to set them up, but most important, what they look like! Dave's tutorials are fine for those well on their way to using the feature.

I just can't wrap my head around what the end result should look like and I sense that others in this forum feel the same way.

Are there any CMSB web sites out there who are using the category menus?

Also, why use this feature if I'm already using menu systems such as those from Project Seven?

Really, a small set of "How it works" screens like you have for the basic page creation steps is sorely needed here.

Thanks in advance.

J

Re: [macwebster] Basic Explanation of Category Menus Needed

By Jason - March 28, 2011

Hi J,

In CMSB, category menus are use to create hierarchical structures (ie, parent => child). These tend to be used most often for menu structures as there are often "Category => SubCategory" structures involved (ie, "About Us" => "Company History").

In terms of "what they look like", they can be implemented in any number of ways. Some people use just simple <ul> lists, while others use complex jquery menus. The implementation is really up to you.

Category Menus tend to be a matter of preference. Some people use them constantly, other people don't. If you already have a menu system that is working well for you, then there's no reason not to stick with that.

A good way to start with category menus is to create a simple test category menu, give it some content, then use the code generator. This will give you a good overview of how they work and what fields are available to you when you're outputting them.

Currently, we don't have a step-by-step video tutorial for this, but it is something that we plan to roll out in the future.

Hope this helps to get you started. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [markr] Basic Explanation of Category Menus Needed

By Jason - March 9, 2012

Hi,

Currently, we don't have a video tutorial concerning categories. There are some changes that are going to be made to the way category sections work in the next few releases, so we'll be revisiting a video tutorial after that.

Thanks,
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/