Text not displaying correctly

10 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 3, 2012   (RSS)

By JamesKB - February 2, 2012 - edited: February 2, 2012

My text generated by CMSB 2.14 seems to be all squished together as shown in the attached jpg.

What am I missing here? [crazy]

Also how does one make CMSB use the sites stylesheet for text?

Is it possible to select a specific font when editing text in the section editor.

Is there current documentation for version 2.14?

Thanks for your time.
Have a nice day....

--

JamesKB
Attachments:

leader.jpg 28K

Re: [JamesKB] Text not displaying correctly

By (Deleted User) - February 2, 2012

Hi James,

Using the wysiwyg editor with no formatting adjustments (ie not setting the font size or weight etc) will leave the text output with simple tags (eg <h1></h1> or <p></p>) which would then inherit the styles of the page.

You can use the eraser tool to remove all formatting elements (aside from element tags) in the wysiwyg editor.

If you are still having trouble with the layout then we can check the page code itself (if you excerpt it or attach it to a post) and see what we can find.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Re: [Tom P] Text not displaying correctly

By JamesKB - February 2, 2012

Thanks for the reply Tom,

See code.jpg to see the code and cmsb02.jpg for the display.

Ideas??
Have a nice day....

--

JamesKB
Attachments:

code.jpg 90K

cms02.jpg 63K

By (Deleted User) - February 3, 2012

Hi James,

It seems that you're using one of our discontinued products along side our most recent!

It would be best to replace the old page publisher code with calls to CMSB instead so that you don't have to worry about any legacy issues and can use standard html/css for your page.

Without seeing the actual html/php that's generating the page and then the html that's produced ultimately it's hard to tell where exactly the formatting for the text is being picked up.

Could you attach the .php file for the page and then a link to where I can view the page online?

Thanks,

Tom

By JamesKB - February 3, 2012

Thanks for the reply Tom.

Find attached the index.php file:

Ther url is http://cofchristknoxville.org

Ideas??
Have a nice day....

--

JamesKB
Attachments:

index_042.php 11K

Hi JamesKB,

The line that's setting the size of the font and the associated line height is

#imTextObject_7 { line-height: 1px; font-size: 1pt; font-style: normal; color: black; font-weight: normal; }

which you can find in the file index.css (line 59).

The div whose id attribute is set to "imTextObject_7", which contains the text, is setting the space between lines of text to 1px and the size of the text itself to 1pt (incidentally, 'pt' a unit which really should only be used for printing purposes, not display purposes).

If you change the line-height and font-size to '1em' it should make the text a more readable size.

Let me know if this helps,

Tom

By JamesKB - February 3, 2012

Thanks Tom,

I ended up just commenting out line 59 of index.css and set the font and size from with in CMSB, it seems to work now.

One little snag however and its not from CMSB is, if I change anything else on the page outside of CMSB and save it, my system over writes the index.css file and I will have to remember to go to the server and edit and comment out line 59 in index.css. I'll just write myself a big old not to remind myself.

Now.... if I can figure out how to get the text to display as Comic Sans MS, which is the font in the style sheet for index.php, I would be really happy. [;)

I've used the eraser within CMSB but that does not seem to work. Any ideas??
Have a nice day....

--

JamesKB

Hi JamesKB,

I would recommend that you have your site rebuilt to use just CMSB for content management as you will find that it is much easier to manage the look and feel of your site, that and you won't have to worry about changing your .css files every time you change something.

With regard to using Comic Sans MS as a font for your website, it is generally not recommended to use non web-safe fonts as the end user is not guaranteed to have the font you have selected. This article explains the thinking behind this practice: http://www.wpdfd.com/issues/87/knowing_about_web_safe_fonts/.

Again, switching to just using CMSB to manage your site will solve any problem with non-cascading style setting issues (such as font).

Let me know if this helps,

Tom

Hi JamesKB,

No problem!

Tom