mySQL logs

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 17, 2011   (RSS)

Re: [eduran582] mySQL logs

By Jason - November 17, 2011

Hi Eric,

The command they are referring to in the docs is only good for MySQL versions 5.1.12 and above. It is possible that you are running an older version. You could try this:

SET GLOBAL LOG := 0;

But if you're running an older MySQL version, you may run into the same issue.

It seems like the problem probably doesn't have anything to do with query logging. Since the general log only logs the query executed (not the results), you would expect logging to take the same amount of time regardless of the size of the database. It's also strange that you've had a large number of records in your database for awhile, yet are only experiencing the problem now.

Do you find that things run just as slow when accessing a small table as a large one? If you set up a small test section, with 1 or no records in it, do you still experience slow response time?

Let us know and we can take a closer look into this.

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] mySQL logs

By eduran582 - November 17, 2011

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried running the command you gave but ended up with the error: "MySQL Error: Variable 'log' is a read only variable". The MySQL version running is: v5.0.77

Just before I posted this request for help, I became rather insistent with the "server group" support and asked them if they could check the other accounts sharing the same virtual server I was on. Even thought I haven't heard back from them (yet), to my amazement when I went to check the code you gave me, the site is now coming up within 1-2 seconds! [shocked]

In reply to your question about testing a smaller table for access, it seems it didn't matter how big or small the table was; it was still taking a ton of time to access it. However, maybe the problem is solved.

Thanks again for your quick response! I'll follow-up when I hear back from the ISP (if I do). [;)]
Eric