Customising the Main Menu

11 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 17, 2011   (RSS)

By gadefgaertgqe - November 15, 2011

Hi!

I am looking at overhauling the main menu of CMSB. Due to the nature of one of my installs there is a LOT of sections, and I want to build in extra functionality for the various users who login.

One question before I start is there a way you would recommend that I could do it so that my changes are not over-written by future CMSB updates.

I am aware of the CSS setup, and the modify homepage plugin, but they do not go far enough for my plans.

Is it best that I use the following option in the modify homepage plugin to tell CMSB to use my custom main menu:

// To disable the home page completely, uncomment this next line and supply a URL to redirect to (e.g. '?menu=_myaccount')
//$GLOBALS['MODIFY_HOMEPAGE_REDIRECT_QUERY'] = '?menu=_myaccount'; // query string to use instead of home page

Thanks

Paul

Re: [Pixels & Beats] Customising the Main Menu

By Jason - November 15, 2011

Hi Paul,

You can customize the CSS of CMS Builder by creating a custom.css file that will override CSS rules found in cmsAdmin/3rdParty/SimplaAdmin/css. For more information on that, see this post:
http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=90731#90731

As far as creating extra functionality based on the user who is logged in, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish. If you could give some more details, we may be able to suggest some options.

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Customising the Main Menu

Hi Jason,

I plan to replace the menu system to make it easier for myself to navigate (roughly 500 sections), and to integrate features for the people logging in. For example in built options to request point of sales literature, download graphic content, digital brochures, ect.

I want to integrate these aspects into the main menu to maintain the single login approach, to keep it simple for the other users, rather than create a whole other area.

Since I posted my query I have considered using this menu system:
http://codecanyon.net/item/css3-mega-drop-down-menu/126387

What's your gut feeling about this? Am I asking for trouble going down this route? I want to maintain the straight forward upgrade path for new releases of CMSB.

I will be trying to avoid making any custom changes that would effect future feature releases made by you clever people at Interactive Tools.

CSS does seem to be the logical approach....

Paul

By Jason - November 15, 2011

Hi Paul,

I wouldn't recommend making any custom changes to CMS Builder code since it would a) be overwritten upon upgrade and b) could cause unforeseen problems.

If you need to have custom pages inside CMS Builder, you can either set this up through the modify homepage plugin, or by using the inline frame option of a textlink section. This requires version 2.12 or above. You can then pull in an external page into CMS Builder, so all of your pages can be external, but the user still just logs in through the CMS.

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Customising the Main Menu

Interesting! I will investigate tomorrow when I am back in work.

Thanks for the advice Jason!

By ross - November 16, 2011

Hi Paul

How complicated are the forms in each of your different sections going to be? If they are going to be fairly simple, it might end up being easier to just create the the whole thing externally. That way, you have complete control over the navigation.

With external forms, you can create pretty much the exact same kind of fields as you can in CMS Builder. It just takes more work setting up the form of course.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Customising the Main Menu

By gadefgaertgqe - November 16, 2011

Hi Ross :)

The forms are simple. It's just a series of check boxes and a message field. When they hit send on the form, there are hidden fields to pull in details of who was logged in when the order was made, so I can identify who to send too.

I just want to avoid yet another login for our users, or even more information having to be entered, and entered correctly.

I am also researching this method for other development plans I have.

So the goal is:

1: User logs into CMSB

2: Fills out form shown either by the inline iframe menu option / or by using the customize main menu page plugin / or some other way so that it is in the CMSB environment.

3: User sends the form after checking various boxes, and information that is stored about that user in the 'User Accounts' field is pulled in automatically, identifying who made the request.

Is there a way for an external page to say who you are currently logged is as? Hope that makes sense ;)

Paul

By ross - November 16, 2011

Hi Paul

Will the external pages be on the same server as CMS Builder? That should open up a bunch of doors for us.

Let me know. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Customising the Main Menu

By gadefgaertgqe - November 16, 2011

Hi Ross,

Yes, all on the same server, and the same location on the server as the CMSB installation.

Thanks!

Paul