Re-Ordering Schema file contents outside of CMSB

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 20, 2011   (RSS)

By gadefgaertgqe - October 19, 2011

Hi All!

I have a very large amount of schema files and need to re-organise the layout inside the schema files. Dragging and dropping in CMSB is one way to do it, but it's not practical due to the time it would take. I have done some tests and the following seems OK, and I have done it before but thought it prudent to check if it really is OK.

What I do is to change the value of the 'order number' field in the relevant section of the schema files that I want to change the order in. I also move the item to the correct position in the file.

Because the files in question are identical, I use a search and replace function in an editor such as Notepad++ to do this. I have not experienced any side effects but is this OK to do?

Thanks

Paul

Re: [Pixels & Beats] Re-Ordering Schema file contents outside of CMSB

By robin - October 19, 2011

Hey Paul,

Yes it's ok to modify schema files. But this is all at your own risk so make sure you backup everything first!

After you've edited the schema file, make sure to click to the "Section Editors" screen in CMS Builder. That will cause CMS Builder to rescan the schema files and make the changes to the system.

Hope that helps,
Robin
Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com

Re: [robin] Re-Ordering Schema file contents outside of CMSB

By gadefgaertgqe - October 20, 2011

Hi Robin,

Thanks for confirming! Out of curiosity, if I was to erase an item from the schema file, would CMSB erase the entry from the database when it rescans the schema file. Or would the entry in the database remain?

Thanks again :)

Paul

Re: [Pixels & Beats] Re-Ordering Schema file contents outside of CMSB

By robin - October 20, 2011

Hey Paul,

If you manually remove an entry from a schema file CMS Builder will not remove the column from the database table. Of course, this is undocumented behavior and shouldn't be relied upon.
And just to clarify for anyone reading this post, removing a column from a CMS Builder section editor does remove the database column.

Hope that helps,
Robin
Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com

Re: [robin] Re-Ordering Schema file contents outside of CMSB

By gadefgaertgqe - October 20, 2011

That's what I thought but no harm in asking ;)

Thanks for clarifying Robin!