CMS Builder v2.12 - wysiwyg boxes stripping hyperlinks - tinyMCE issue?

11 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 9, 2012   (RSS)

Hi,
Last night I upgraded from 2.01 to 2.12. When viewing the site post-upgrade it appears that all the wysiwyg boxes are stripping code. Specifically any <a href> tags. I also found that any scripts no longer functioned. This was apparent as the upgrade effectively broke all the navigation on my site - including flyout menus. The navigation became 'blank'. I had been populating the navigation via one wysiwyg entry within CMS.

I've reverted back to 2.01 (which is unfortunate but at least it's working again). While on 2.12 I attempted the steps listed in this post as I've seen that issue in previous versions, however it did not fix this issue:
http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Products_C2/CMS_Builder_F35/2.12_upgrade%2C_WYSIWYG_graphics_gone%21_P90151/gforum.cgi?post=89879;search_string=tinyMCE;t=search_engine#89879

I'm assuming it has something to do with valid_elements and extended_valid_elements options in the tinyMCE.js file based on web searches, but I hesitate to change that file without checking with you to verify if you've seen this issue before and if so what the fix is.

Any insight you can provide would be helpful. Let me know what you'd have me upload regarding files (btw I left you a voicemail this morning). I want to upgrade so that we can use the membership plugin, which can't happen while running v2.01.

Thanks,
Christine

Re: [cricket7475] CMS Builder v2.12 - wysiwyg boxes stripping hyperlinks - tinyMCE issue?

By Jason - October 5, 2011

Hi Christine,

That's a strange issue for sure. You shouldn't have to make any changes to any .js files to have your wysiwyg fields work. The fact that unrelated parts of your site stopped working (ie, your navigation) makes me suspect a larger issue.

Did you connect directly to the jquery file in CMS Builder on any of your pages ( ie cmsAdmin/3rdParty/jquery/jquery1.3.2.js)? By CMS Builder 2.12, this was upgraded to jquery.1.4.1.js.

Were there any other issues that appeared on your site? Another thing to try would be to make a copy of your site onto a subdomain and re-install version 2.02 on that domain as well. You can then upgrade that version to 2.12 and, if the problem occurs again, we would have an environment to test solutions without affecting your live site.

Let us know what you find and we can look further into this.

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] CMS Builder v2.12 - wysiwyg boxes stripping hyperlinks - tinyMCE issue?

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure it's unrelated per say. The navigation is pulled into each page via a 'common' section editor where I've placed the common page elements like footer info, copyrights, and navigation. Within that section editor there's a wysiwyg box called 'navigation' where all the HTML is loaded that controls the sites nav menus. That entry is pulled into each page via

<?php echo $commonRecord['navigation'] ?>

Here's what one link example for the home page looks like in the HTML Source Editor of that wysiwyg box when it's functioning 'normally' within 2.01:

<div id="homebutton"><a alt="Home" title="Home" href="/index.php"></a></div>

with 2.12 I could paste that code in, click 'update' and then even before saving if I went in to verify the code was correct I would see this:

<div id="homebutton"></div>

Thinking I may have forgotten to click 'update' I would put the code in again, click 'update' then save the entry, only to open it back up and find the 'stripped' version. I even changed around the order of the elements within the tag thinking that because it didn't see the href first it flagged it - still stripped it out.

So before even getting to the flyout issue I was having problems. I have not linked anything directly to an jquery files within the CMS folders, so I'm pretty sure that's not an issue, but I'll verify to be sure.

Everything else appeared to work fine. Images for various pages still appeared, links functioned from what I can tell, but the nav issue was so great I didn't take a whole lot of time to test other items out before restoring the working version. I'm using Firefox 7.0.1 in case that has any bearing on the issue.

I'll start on the subdomain sandbox and see if I can duplicate the issue there. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Christine

Re: [cricket7475] CMS Builder v2.12 - wysiwyg boxes stripping hyperlinks - tinyMCE issue?

By Jason - October 12, 2011

Hi Christine,

That's pretty strange. I think to troubleshoot this further, we'll need to see the installation in action.

If you could fill out a [url http://www.interactivetools.com/support]2nd Level Support Request[/url], we can take a look and try to figure out what's going on.

Hope this helps
interactivetools.com

Re: [Jason] CMS Builder v2.12 - wysiwyg boxes stripping hyperlinks - tinyMCE issue?

Done. Appreciate the help - thanks!

By pogo - January 7, 2012

Just curious -- has this been resolved or is it still being investigated?
Best regards,
Tom Flis

Re: [pogo] CMS Builder v2.12 - wysiwyg boxes stripping hyperlinks - tinyMCE issue?

By Jason - January 8, 2012

Hi,

This issue had to do with <a> tags being stripped out when there was nothing in between the tags.

For example:
<a href = "http://www.interactivetools.com"> </a>

This is an issue with the wysiwyg editor (tiny mce). Are you experiencing this problem? Are there any further details you can provide?

Thanks
interactivetools.com

Re: [pogo] CMS Builder v2.12 - wysiwyg boxes stripping hyperlinks - tinyMCE issue?

Hi Tom,

The workaround for my particular application was to replace the wysiwyg field with a text box, and then to stick all the raw html into that text box. All of that was first tested in a sandbox environment created specifically to determine feasibility. Once we confirmed my navigation was working again in the testing environment, I applied the change to my live site and after a slight bit of tweaking it was up and running. I've since upgraded to 2.14 without any issues with the workaround.

If you're experiencing similar issues I'll be the second to say reply with any info you can - your setup details may be vastly different from mine and if this is a tinyMCE bug then the more information about it we can collect the better.

Thanks,
Christine

By pogo - January 9, 2012

Hi Jason:
I'm using v2.13 and prefer to make all my changes in the HTML source editor. To "test" a styling change I insert inline style attributes into an element tag instead of making a change to the style sheet, e.g.,
<h3 style="font: oblique bold small-caps 1.5em/1.8em Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;">. I've experienced 1 or 2 instances where the styling was stripped out of a heading tag or paragraph tag (can't remember which). The work-around was to add a span element and to insert the styling into the span. If/when I encounter this again, I'll post the details. This is more of an annoyance than a problem.

Best regards,
Tom