Install - CMSB needs a domain name?

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 6, 2011   (RSS)

By trebien - October 5, 2011

When developing new sites, it seems upon install that CMSB needs a domain name to attach to in order to work properly.

This is an issue we came across... we host in a shared environment, and obviously want to "develop" sites before they go live, and THEN swap the DNS to point to this new site when complete.

Is this easily feasible? It seems we encountered a lot of errors when the domain wasn't pointed at the hosting environment, yet.

Or would it be easier to set up a subdomain, such as "test.domain.com" for the development, then change the DNS to point to that as the domain itself? Just seems like a lot of work.

Btw, we host on a PLESK platform. What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Re: [trebien] Install - CMSB needs a domain name?

By Dave - October 5, 2011

Hi Dan,

You should be able to install on an IP without a domain name. What sort of errors are you getting?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Install - CMSB needs a domain name?

By trebien - October 6, 2011

Dave -

What about a shared hosting environment, as is usually the norm?

That's where we had the issues...

Re: [trebien] Install - CMSB needs a domain name?

By Dave - October 6, 2011

Shared hosting is the norm so there shouldn't be any problems.

The only time we've seen problems is when the shared hosting sets up their own "preview" domains that mess with the PHP settings or the html output. Some of those make it hard for CMSB to auto-detect it's environment. Godaddy.com, for example, sets up "yoursite.previewdns.com" domains but adds 2 pages of the javascript to the bottom of each page. Since CMSB wasn't expecting random javascript to be added to it's pages this ended up causing problems and we actually had to add a workaround for it right in the CMSB code.

If you run into any specific problems with your host in future let me know and I'll try to assist.

Hope that helps! Let me know any other questions.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com