Moved to new host - have a question...

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 1, 2011   (RSS)

Re: [HDLLC] Moved to new host - have a question...

Hi Jeff,

Here's part of a recipe from my CMSB Cookbook http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com that might help.

I just used it to move a site and it worked without a hitch that isn't noted below.

Hope it works for you too.

*** Just remember to back everything up before you start and after any upgrade on either the old or new install.***

Jerry Kornbluth

Here's the latest (Version 2.11) based on an August 16, 2011 post from Dave at Interactive Tools:

It's pretty much the same as doing a backup and restore, you'd just be restoring an existing setup.

Set Up a new MySQL database on your new server.

To backup:
- Create a backup of your existing installation databases: Admin > General > Database Backup > all database tables

To restore:
- Upload the /cmsAdmin/ folder from the old site to the new site

- Remove /cmsAdmin/data/isInstalled.php

- (ed.) If you get an error message about upload folder paths when you try to access the admin.php file, it's because the old path info is stuck in the settings dat file. Open the data/settings.dat file from the new site, enter the correct value, then re-upload it.

- Run admin.php and fill out install screen

- Select "Restore Backup" instead of "Create Admin User" to restore the site data

You can (and should) have more than one installation of CMSB during transfers, staging, etc., so I wouldn't delete any information from your old server until you're sure that things are working on the new one.

UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION BEFORE MOVING YOUR SITE , BUT REMEMBER, IF YOU'RE USING THE MEMBERSHIP PLUGIN ON A VERSION OF CMSB OLDER THAN 2.08, THE ENCRYPTED PASSWORDS IN V2.08+ MEAN YOU'LL HAVE TO UPDATE A NUMBER OF YOUR VIEWERS. (See the recipes for the Website Membership plugin for more on this)
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php