Sub-categories Tutorial

134 posts by 17 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 7, 2012   (RSS)

By rez - June 9, 2011 - edited: June 9, 2011

Right, I have that but the items (articles as shown in most the code here above) are in a different editor. So each category has items. When you add an item you assign it to one of the categories with a drop menu just as described above. Above, clicking a category loads a page and displays the items. I just want them listed all out as I have shown. Again, the items arent in the categories menu. Make sense? [blush]

Re: [rez] Sub-categories Tutorial

By Jason - June 10, 2011

Hi,

Okay, I think I see where you're going with this. If you can attach your .php file, I can give you an example based on your actual code.

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By rez - June 10, 2011 - edited: June 10, 2011

Sure, its attached but currently, i am not using a category menu. That's what I am moving towards so I can display deeper sub categories, using advanced settings of breadcrumb and num for the item editor settings? Just can't get to sub categories with the attached code.
Attachments:

example_001.php 2K

By rez - June 10, 2011

Yes, categories with items are working just fine. I just simply want to use a category menu editor with sub categories. Currently, I am not.

I will send you a mail.

Re: [Chris] Sub-categories Tutorial

By petejdg - November 9, 2011

Chris,
I have this solution working for a store product area. I have just one level of categories going to the category list and then product viewer page. I have the categories listed on the sidebar and they bold when I am on the category listing page. How can I get the sidebar to work on the product viewer page and also show the category name above my product.
Attachments:

storescreenshot.gif 44K

Re: [petejdg] Sub-categories Tutorial

By Jason - November 9, 2011

Hi,

If you could attach your product viewer page to this thread, I can take a look at it for you.

Hope this helps
interactivetools.com

Chris,
here is my file.
Attachments:

product_display.php 9K

By Jason - November 9, 2011

Hi,

You can use the "selectedCategoryNum" option to get a value for $selectedCategory like this:

list($categoriesRecords, $selectedCategory) = getCategories(array(
'tableName' => 'categories',
'selectedCategoryNum' => @$_REQUEST['category'],
));

You can then change your if statement to set an element to bold like this:

<?php if ($categoryRecord['num'] == $selectedCategory['num']): ?><b><?php endif ?>
<a href="product_list.php?category=<?php echo $categoryRecord['num'] ?>"><?php echo $categoryRecord['name'] ?></a>
<?php if ($categoryRecord['num'] == $selectedCategory['num']): ?></b><?php endif ?>

Finally, you can output the selected category name (instead of the number from the URL0 like this:

<p class="productHeader"><?php echo htmlspecialchars($selectedCategory['name']); ?></p>

Hope this helps
interactivetools.com

Thank you so much. Works perfectly.