Copying and dupicating a CMSB database

8 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 3, 2011   (RSS)

By kkegans - April 19, 2011

I have a need to copy a complete CMSB database to a different domain, using a new CMSB license and restore it in a MYSQL database with different username and password for the new domain. Not being a MYSQL guy, I am lost as to the best way to accomplish this task.

Is this something that can be done, and if so, can a SQL dummy handle the task, or do I need to get this done by the con$ulting team?

Kurt
CMSB Rocks!

Thanks,

Kurt

Re: [kkegans] Copying and dupicating a CMSB database

By robin - April 20, 2011

Hey Kurt,

You can backup your whole database from the General Settings page in CMS Builder. That will create a backup file in your CMS Builder backup folder. Usually: /cmsAdmin/data/backups

Then move the backup file to the new CMS Builder backup folder on the new server. Once the file is copied over you can use the restore festure in General Settings to recover the data.

Hope that helps,
Robin
Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com

Re: [gkornbluth] Copying and dupicating a CMSB database

By Toledoh - April 22, 2011

A word of warning. It's been said many times, but be sure to back-up.

The other day I wanted to duplicate a site, but re-skin it for a new client. I simply did my "process" but didn't change some settings. On the new host, I deleted all the first client content ready for the new client content and the new site was still referring to the old database... I deleted all my original clients content on their live site.

Luckily I had backed up a few days earlier and only lost a bit, and the client was fine.

I then purchased thed auto back-up plugin and installed it on all sites!
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [Toledoh] Copying and dupicating a CMSB database

By gkornbluth - April 22, 2011

Hi Tim,

I couldn't agree more.

Backing up is imperative. Especially before any updates, upgrades, or other mucking about with their data/

I even offer my clients a "Peace of Mind" backup service for all their web based files via FTP, using the "backup jobs" settings in WS-FTP Pro.

I back up all their files once a month for a subscription fee.

So far it's a win-win situation.

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By gkornbluth - May 2, 2011

Hi Kurt

Did you ever accomplish your goal?

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Copying and dupicating a CMSB database

By kkegans - May 3, 2011

Jerry,

Yes, thank you and it was completely successful.[:)] Thanks to you and your very detailed guide. The assistance recieved on this forum from the staff at IT and good folks like you are invaluable.

Kurt
CMSB Rocks!

Thanks,

Kurt

By gkornbluth - May 3, 2011

Glad to hear it worked.

Jerry