Displaying selected list content based on other selected list content

13 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 19, 2011   (RSS)

By JLynne77 - April 19, 2011

On your idea about using a new section for a list, because we're using two lists sort of... I guess you could call it nested, I'm guessing this would require giving them the ability to add new lists, or rather, in this case, sections.

For example, it's easy for them to add a new record to an existing section. So, adding a new carrier, say GHI, to the carrier list would be just adding a new record.

However, they would then need to be able to add a new section for GHI in order to list out the plans GHI has... like Federal Employees, Medicaid HMO, etc.

I do like the concept behind this and definitely want to find out more for future use, and, if I had a lot more time, I could try talking someone into implementing it right off the bat, but I have a feeling this will be something to add later, since putting it in may require more coding that we just don't have the schedule for at the moment. We're already quite a bit behind schedule on delivery.
-----
~Jessica Sullivan, Crystal Realm Designs.

Re: [Duches77] Displaying selected list content based on other selected list content

By Jason - April 19, 2011

Hi Jessica,

In this particular instance, it probably wouldn't work so well, since each new record in your list requires a new field to be created in your other section.

In situations where you don't need to create these extra fields, having a separate section is a good way to maintain a dynamic list that needs to either be added to frequently, or added to by multiple people.

In your case, I think the best solution would be to continue how you are, but make an effort to never have to change the value of an option, only the label.

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/