Not seeing a category page

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 11, 2011   (RSS)

By degreesnorth - April 11, 2011

Hi

Help, I'm stuck. I have created a multi record file called "subcategories", which just lists all of the product subcategories by name (there are 47). I have this linked via a list in another section of the site, using the list > pulldown > get options from the database. It has worked across all of the categories WITH THE EXCEPTION when I have changed a name of a subcategory. There are 4 instances when I've changed it (3 with name change only, one new one added), and these aren't working - of all of the hundred or so products, these are the only ones not working. Am I doing something wrong?

An asap response would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: [degreesnorth] Not seeing a category page

By Jason - April 11, 2011

Hi,

When you were setting up your list field, did you use "name" as your option value? If so, that would explain why your connection broke when you change the name.

The option value is the value that CMS Builder actually stores in the database. If you're using name and then you change the name, you still have the old name being stored. The best practice is to use the num field for your values. This number never changes, so you can change the label (name) without affecting any associations where it is used.

There are a couple of things you can do. You can:
a) change those names back to what they were before (quickest solution, but not the best)
b) change your list field to use "num" instead of "name" for the option value. After you do this, you'll have to go through all of your records, and re-select your sub categories. (this is more work, but is a much more robust solution).

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/