Starting out on the right foot (Major Project)

17 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 5, 2011   (RSS)

By Ginslinger - April 1, 2011

I think we are just going to re-create the records. I have a team of about 15 people that can make pretty short work of it. Besides new fields will be added which the data would have to be entered anyways.

What is going to be the best way to get started making this stuff display the way it needs too?

Re: [zip222] Starting out on the right foot (Major Project)

By Ginslinger - April 4, 2011

Thank you. I'll take a look at that.

By Ginslinger - April 4, 2011 - edited: April 4, 2011

Jason:

Had the chance to play with this over the weekend which gave me the opportunity to see exactly what needs to be created in order for this to work.

I was able to get the categories and subs working using the Sub category thread which was a big help.

What I need help with is creating the front page so it displays all the top level categories which link to the lower levels within each category. Maybe there is a better way of doing this which I am open for all suggestions. I have not been able to grasp how to accomplish tie the categories together. I did create the detail page for the listings which seems to be working ok but still needs some refinements.

Re: [Ginslinger] Starting out on the right foot (Major Project)

By Jason - April 4, 2011

Hi,

Do you have a template for your front page? The best approach to integrating CMS Builder into your site is to decide how you want it to look. Once you know how you want things to work and fit together, CMS Builder can be used to accomplish this.

Once you have this, if you need some help with custom code, we can always take a look at it through our consulting service.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Ginslinger - April 5, 2011

Pretty straight forward as I need the top tier categories to display on the front page which links to the sub-categories of a selected section.

This allows me to show other information on the index of this database.

Acme
Auto Art
Auto World
ETC
ETC

After clicking on a main category you are taken to a page listing all the subs within that main selection. This also needs to be used as a category about page or category introduction page. From there you would just click on a sub-category and be taken to the listings sorted by stock number within that category.

Re: [Ginslinger] Starting out on the right foot (Major Project)

By Jason - April 5, 2011

Hi,

What you should do first is to create a hard coded template that doesn't use CMS Builder and is formatted the way you would want it to work. Once you have that, we could help you integrate CMS Builder into that template for you through our consulting service. If you'd like to discuss some options for doing this, please email consulting@interactivetools.com

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/