Question on order of listings - setting default

10 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 4, 2011   (RSS)

By Codee - March 26, 2011

When in the backend of CMSB, and adding a new data record, it typically appears at the top of the pile. I would like to be able to set that default to the bottom of the pile, instead of having to drag record after record to the bottom of the pile. I have used the non-supported "Create Record Here" plugin, but it does not function correctly in v2.07, possibly in 2.06 (haven't tested it there yet). Is there a way to change this default or make it an option?

Re: [equinox69] Question on order of listings - setting default

By Jason - March 28, 2011

Hi,

Here is how to get new record to go to the bottom of the list:

1) go into your section editor and erase the dragSortOrderField.
2)next, go directly back into your section editor and remove dragSortOrder from ListPage fields in the "General" Tab and from Order By in the "Sorting" Tab
3) add "createdDate ASC" to the Order By field
4) click "Save Details"

This will re-order all your records so the one created first will be at the top of the list. The newest record will always appear at the bottom.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Question on order of listings - setting default

By Codee - March 28, 2011

Hi Jason, I should have added that "aside from deleting drag/sort order" and removing that from the options in the upper menus"... ;-)

Can't I have the best of both worlds? To have the newest item appear at the bottom of the list automatically and still be able to drag/drop the order of records? Isn't there a deeper setting somewhere that determines the placement of the most recently created record by default that can be changed? Thanks!

By robin - March 29, 2011

Hi,

The solution might be to just change the Order By field in the Sorting tab to:
dragSortOrder ASC

Hope that helps,
Robin
Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com

Re: [robin] Question on order of listings - setting default

By Codee - March 29, 2011

doh!! oh my word...dumb...I am SO dumb...thanks Robin!

HOWEVER, that will flip the 200 records I've already dragged into the order I want. So, I'll have to redrag all those, right?

By robin - March 30, 2011

Hey,

Unfortunately yes, you'll have to redrag then all because they will be reversed.

Robin
Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com

By Codee - March 30, 2011

Okay, so back to the other part of the question. Right now "something" determines that the record entries default to a certain order (other than the top menu of the admin page because that's changeable by the user)...is there "somewhere" down in the core files this is set and could be changed? This way the default method could be inversed and still utilize the drag/drop feature?

By Codee - March 31, 2011

Thanks Robin. There are already some core changes we make after each upgrade, one such example as changing the default number of records to display...info provided by Dave E., Chris and I think Jason. I agree that it "could" be a bad idea to modify some of the core CMS files but also "can" be a good idea in a scenario like this. This actually isn't a dragsortorder change, but a change that occurs in the default arena before dragsortorder options are considered to the data records before viewing. So that's what I was asking for is which CMSB core files and locations could be changed to make such a default experience occur? ;-)

By robin - April 4, 2011

Hey,

Could you send an email into support@interactivetools.com and we'll see what we can do for you.

Thanks,
Robin
Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com