access to data from other websites

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 1, 2011   (RSS)

By willydoit - March 29, 2011 - edited: March 30, 2011

Hi all,

We have a number of domains which are associated with a main domain, ie we have a domain www.bridlington.net and also own a number of other domains such as bridlington-hotels.co.uk bridlington-restaurants.co.uk etc. Our main site has cms builder installed providing advertising for clients and rather than just have our additional domains being dormant (to prevent others registering them) we would like to utilise them and have our existing data available via these other domains, such as our hotel list to be available via bridlington-hotels.co.uk as well as our main site,

My question is a) is there a better way to do it than simply using iframes to include the page link such as " http://www.bridlington.net/listings/serviced_list.php?accommodation_type=Hotel " b) does it affect my licensing in any way having the results appear on another one of my domains. I obviously dont want to fall foul of Google and would like all my currently dormant domains to be accepted by google as sites in their own right so would prefer if possible to have all pages loading in the new site domain (avoiding a redirect, possibly some form of include) so ideally would like my page in domain 2 to be able to access the database on domain 1.

Is this possible please? any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: [willydoit] access to data from other websites

By Jason - March 30, 2011

Hi,

An installation of CMS Builder can only be used on one website at a time. There isn't a way to have a single installation that populates multiple websites.

One work around would be to put one installation of CMS Builder on each of your domains. You can then "sync" the databases of your installations by using our backup/restore options. So, for example, you can backup your database on site A, upload that backup file to site B and then use restore inside the CMS on site B. In that way, both installations would have exactly the same data.

Hope this helps clarify, please let me know if you have any further questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [willydoit] access to data from other websites

By Codee - March 31, 2011

Would setting up your original data, sort of layered, so that you have the bottom layer is text/data, second layer is css and third layer is javascript; then create an RSS or Atom feed to export the data to other websites work?

Re: [equinox69] access to data from other websites

By willydoit - April 1, 2011

Hi

Thanks for the help. most of it went over my head I am afraid, I have set the site up to use a simple iframe to include the list from the main site which seems to be working fine, its all still in early stages but fingers crossed.

Thanks again