Error connecting to MySQL!

7 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 16, 2011   (RSS)

By nikkijones - March 6, 2008

Having had my cms up and running for a while, i decided to change hosts before i went live as i really do not like the one i'm currently using. I've now chaned to ipowerweb. I was advised to do a fresh install but i'm getting this error message on the install page:

Error connecting to MySQL:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I;ve tried everything and cannot see why this is happening!

Any ideas?

Nikki [unsure]

Re: [nikkijones] Error connecting to MySQL!

By Dave - March 6, 2008

That error means it can't connect to the mysql server. Check the MySql hostname is correct and that MySQL is available/enabled for your server. Is the hostname 'localhost' or something different?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Error connecting to MySQL!

By GraphicLingoes - February 21, 2009 - edited: February 22, 2009

Hi Dave,

My name is Mike, I'm new to the forum. Started using the CMS builder a few months ago and am on my 3 install for a new client. The client I'm currently designing a web site for is also using ipower and I am getting an install MySQL error too. I recreated the error posted by nikkijones by messing with the MySQL host name. For my install at least the host name for ipower should be custsql-ipw16.eigbox.net. This seems to fix the error posted earlier but now I'm running into another error.

Error connecting to MySQL:
Lost connection to MySQL server during query

After researching the MySQL manual it appears that this error can occur when the net read timeout is set to 30 and can be corrected by upping it to 60. I've submitted a support ticket with ipower about this but was wondering if you have had an experience with this error and know how to fix it?

Thanks for your help. Love your product.

Mike
Graphic Lingoes
www.graphiclingoes.com

Re: [GraphicLingoes] Error connecting to MySQL!

By GraphicLingoes - February 22, 2009

I figured out what was going on. My client has two domains on their server and there is some weird domain pointing going on. When I tried to use the localhost information provided in the mysqladmin I kept getting the error message stated in my last post about connection lost. Must have had something to do with the hoops that the domain pointing sent the request through to get to the database.

Anyway I noticed in the ipower control panel that in the MySQL database manager it actually says in small writting on the bottom table containing your database name "Database is located on xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.xxxx.com" Using this information as the localhost fixed the problem and I was able to successfully install the CMS.

Best Regards,
Mike
Graphic Lingoes
www.graphiclingoes.com

Re: [GraphicLingoes] Error connecting to MySQL!

By Dave - February 23, 2009

Hi Mike, Welcome to the CMS Builder forum!

Glad you got it figured out so quickly!

Let us know if you need a hand with anything else! :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Rusty] Error connecting to MySQL!

By Jason - February 16, 2011

Hi Rusty,

If you look at your database in cPanel, it should tell you what your host name is. If not, your best bet would be to contact your new hosting service and they should be able to let you know.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/