Problem uploading large files

8 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 29, 2011   (RSS)

By JeffC - January 27, 2011

I am trying to upload a 20mb file to a site using CMSB. It doesn't upload. I do not have a firewall or any internet security that is stopping it from going.

I have also tried it on another, much faster, internet connection. From here it uploads successfully.

I spoke to the company that hosts the site because I thought maybe there is a setting on the php.ini that drops the connection if it doesn't upload after a set amount of time and my slow connection was causing this to happen.

This was their reply:

Does the upload form utilise any kind of "keepalive" function to ensure that you dont get timed out while trying to upload? Some upload forms dont correctly handle the default socket timeout.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
Jeff

Re: [Jeffncou] Problem uploading large files

By gkornbluth - January 27, 2011

Hi Jeffncou,

If you've adjusted the max file size in the CMSB record, it sounds like you'll have to adjust the maximum allowed upload size variables in your server's php.ini file.

It's normally set pretty low.

If you have complete access to your server root folder, look for the file in your cgi-bin and change the post_max_size = and upload_max_filesize = entries to over 20M

If it's not there call the Web Host and talk to them.

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Problem uploading large files

By JeffC - January 27, 2011 - edited: January 27, 2011

Hi gkornbluth

Thanks for the reply

I don't think that's the problem. I have increased maximum allowed size to 32MB in the CMS and in the php.ini file.

I thought I may have missed something but if I did surely it wouldn't have uploaded from the fast internet connection.

The problem (in my limited mind atleast) is not that the files are too big to upload but because they are taking too long to upload. Just a theory though - and one that I don't know how to put right!
Jeff

I just had the same issue with a 60MB file (video) and that solved the problem for me.

Did you check both values in the php.ini file? Maybe you host has some master override.

Disable the flash uploader in the admin general area and see if that makes a difference.

Jerry

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

So it works, on one computer and not on another with a slower connection..

This should help one of the gurus at Interactive Tools give you some insights.

Good luck,

jerry

By Damon - January 28, 2011

Thanks for sending in the details in your Support Request.

I will start doing some testing and send another update soon.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Damon] Problem uploading large files

By JeffC - January 29, 2011

Hi Jerry, Hi Damon

An update to anyone following this thread:

Damon suggested it may be an issue with the brower. I was using Safari on a Mac.

Following Damons advice I tried uploaded the file using Firefox (Mac) and it worked. It took about 7mins

I looked a bit deeper into it and also uploaded the file using Firefox, Opera, Safari and Explorer (all PC). They all uploaded in roughly the same amount of time of 6-7mins.

I tried to load the file via Safari on a Mac 3 times. It loaded successfully once and failed twice (when I say failed I mean I aborted after 60min)

Well I guess the problem has a work around - don't use Safari!

Are you aware of anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff