Search the whole CMS

13 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 27, 2011   (RSS)

By mdegive - November 23, 2010

When I bought CMS Builder, I also bought the Search Engine. I though this search engine would be based on the CMS and let me search in any of the sections I created but instead it is just a search engine that searches through html pages. No good to me.

I can't believe that CMSBuilder does not have a search capability built in or a plugin that would let me specify what sections/field to search on.

I saw that somebody created MultiSearch.php but I am not sure where to find the latest version of this script.

Help!

Re: [mdegive] Search the whole CMS

By Jason - November 24, 2010

Hi,

CMS Builder does have built in search capabilities. If you're creating an HTML form to search a table, give your form elements the same name as the field you want to search against.

For example, if you have a field called "city" and you wanted to search it using a text box you could do this:

<input type="text" name="city" />

This is a really basic implementation of a search. For more information on form names you can use to perform different searches, take a look here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/viewer_search.html

Hope this helps get you started. If you run into any trouble, please let me know more about exactly what you're trying to accomplish and I can get you some more specific examples.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Search the whole CMS

By mdegive - November 24, 2010

Well that's really too bad for CMS system it should have this capability, most of them do...

You really did b=not answer my question though!

As I explained I need to search across multiple tables, I understand you had a script called MultiSearch.php, where can I find it?

By Jason - November 24, 2010

Hi,

There is an experimental function in CMS Builder called searchMultipleTables().

I've attached a file called multiSearch.php which provides an example of how the function works.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/
Attachments:

multisearch_003.php 4K

By mdegive - December 16, 2010

By the way, thank you VERY MUCH. That is exactly what I wanted![laugh]

I added an OrderBy option but it is not added to the query:
$searchOptions['orderBy'] = "pub_date DESC, title";

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS * FROM ( SELECT 'news' as `tablename`, num, `title` as `_title`, `content` as `_summary`, `pub_date` as `field1`, `type` as `field2`, `link_url` as `field3`, '' as `field4`, '' as `field5`, '' as `field6`, '' as `field7`, '' as `field8`, '' as `field9`, '' as `field10`, CONCAT_WS('\t', `title`, `content`) as _content FROM `cms_news` UNION SELECT 'newsletters' as `tablename`, num, `title` as `_title`, `content` as `_summary`, `pub_date` as `field1`, '' as `field2`, '' as `field3`, '' as `field4`, '' as `field5`, '' as `field6`, '' as `field7`, '' as `field8`, '' as `field9`, '' as `field10`, CONCAT_WS('\t', `title`, `content`) as _content FROM `cms_newsletters` UNION SELECT 'press' as `tablename`, num, `title` as `_title`, `content` as `_summary`, `pub_date` as `field1`, '' as `field2`, '' as `field3`, '' as `field4`, '' as `field5`, '' as `field6`, '' as `field7`, '' as `field8`, '' as `field9`, '' as `field10`, CONCAT_WS('\t', `title`, `content`) as _content FROM `cms_press` UNION SELECT 'reports' as `tablename`, num, `title` as `_title`, `content` as `_summary`, `pub_date` as `field1`, '' as `field2`, '' as `field3`, '' as `field4`, '' as `field5`, '' as `field6`, '' as `field7`, '' as `field8`, '' as `field9`, '' as `field10`, CONCAT_WS('\t', `title`, `content`) as _content FROM `cms_reports` UNION SELECT 'white_papers' as `tablename`, num, `title` as `_title`, `content` as `_summary`, `pub_date` as `field1`, '' as `field2`, '' as `field3`, '' as `field4`, '' as `field5`, '' as `field6`, '' as `field7`, '' as `field8`, '' as `field9`, '' as `field10`, CONCAT_WS('\t', `title`, `content`) as _content FROM `cms_white_papers` ) as combinedTable WHERE (`_content` LIKE '%linley%') LIMIT 10 OFFSET 10

By Chris - December 16, 2010

Hi mdegive,

I'm afraid I can't think of a simple way to add that feature. I believe it would require some custom programming, which is something our consulting department could take care of for you. Please let me know if that's something you're interested in and I can get you a quote.
All the best,
Chris

I can code it myself, but I thought your others users would benefit from that feature. Should be pretty simple to add at the end of the select

Here is what I added in the query section:
if ($where) { $query .= "WHERE $where"; }

//MMD orderBy
if (@$searchOptions['orderBy']!="")
$query .= " ORDER BY ".$searchOptions['orderBy']." ";
//MMD orderBy END

$query .= getMysqlLimit($searchOptions['perPage'], @$_REQUEST['page']);

Works GREAT! Can you add that to your next release?

By Chris - December 17, 2010

Hi mdegive,

You know, I considered precisely that code, but I didn't think it would have the intended effect, since I thought you'd want to order the subqueries.

Thanks! I've committed this to our development branch.
All the best,
Chris