Help - Simplest approach to displaying video within CMS Builder

5 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 20, 2010   (RSS)

By Mikey - December 3, 2010

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best approach to getting videos to play on a CMS Builder site, using the upload field?

Something clean, simple, supports many file types and compatible with most major browsers.

I don't need a full blown video gallery and I'd prefer not having to log into another application to upload videos.... I want the entire process to take place with a video upload within CMS Builder.

Is there a solution that would allow many file formats that would work within CMS Builder, so that my client would not need to convert videos to flash?

Re: [zick] Help - Simplest approach to displaying video within CMS Builder

By Toledoh - December 3, 2010

I use http://www.shadowbox-js.com/index.html
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [zick] Help - Simplest approach to displaying video within CMS Builder

By Codee - December 6, 2010

Zick,

The upload fields in CMSB will allow you to change the fields to accept ANY file type. I've modified it to accept a wide variety of video formats and it works fine.

Having said that I still suggest to my clients to video host somewhere else to utilize the compression technology out there and just provide a cut-n-paste embed-video box for them to use. There are many advantages to this process: saving bandwidth, keeping the client's site running fast, keeping costs down, using generally available compression technology (YouTube, EVO, etc.), and if your clients are using shared servers like with GoDaddy...then although GoDaddy basic and deluxe shared hosting allows a ton of file space they DON'T ALLOW more than about 8mb per file upload...which severely curtails longer than 20seconds of higher res video per upload. Just a thought.

Re: [equinox69] Help - Simplest approach to displaying video within CMS Builder

By sublmnl - December 6, 2010

use youtube & copy the embed code.
Have client rip out the url. Then have them paste into the cms section editor entry.
On your side, you have the object embed, swfobject, activeX whatever you want to do and two to three php tags waiting for the youtube url.