Spambot email protector - some more info please

By JeffC - December 7, 2010

I have had an attack on my website and I would be interested to know if the spambot email protector will solve my problem.

My set up:
I have a competition page on my site. Users complete a form with their details and their answer to the competition question. Their entry populates my contacts database. Within the CMS I can search for the correct answer and I have a list of winning entries that I can export and select a winner.

The problem:
A couple of days ago I received 25,000 entries in 1 hour. (I usually receive about 2000 per month). All of the emails addresses look genuine but the volume suggests to me that it must be an attack. According to google analytics my visitor numbers haven't increase significantly which again confirms something dodgy is going on.

What would anyone gain from doing this? Is it just someone playing the system and trying to increase their chances of winning or is there any way that someone could have a more sinister use? It seems strange to me that someone would be trying to add to my database rather than harvesting from my database.

Would the spambot protector stop this from happening again or does it just stop emails being collected from my site?

Any help greatly appreciated
Jeff