Custom upload directory to point at different domain

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 19, 2010   (RSS)

By gadefgaertgqe - November 17, 2010

Hello :)

Is it possible for the 'Use custom upload directory' option to point at a folder on a different domain name?

The alternate domain is on the same server.

When I have tried to set it up this way, the url always seems to have the CMS install url at the start.

Kind regards

Paul

Re: [Pixels & Beats] Custom upload directory to point at different domain

By Jason - November 17, 2010

Hi Paul,

If you have the full path to that folder on the server, you should be able to use it. You will have to use the complete path. You'll also need to change the url path to use the other domain name.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Custom upload directory to point at different domain

By gadefgaertgqe - November 18, 2010 - edited: November 18, 2010

Hi Jason,

That works great apart from one issue.

When editing the page in CMSB the uploaded image details are present, but the actual image does not show which makes it very tricky to manage the content.

This seems to be due to the 'Upload Directory' and 'Upload Folder URL' settings in the 'general settings' part of CMSB.

I could change them to match however one additional point I need to make is that CMSB is serving 2 domains (which are both part of the same dealer network but the brands are very much separate). For example:

CMSB upload directory:
national/cms-hub/uploads/

CMSB Upload Folder URL:
//uploads/

I am using the 'Use custom upload directory' for the images to point to the relevant folders for each domain:

-----------

Brand 1 Directory Path:
national/cms-brand1/uploads/model-images/

Brand 1 Folder Url:
/uploads/model-images/

-----------

Brand 2 Directory Path:
national/cms-brand2/uploads/model-images/

Brand 2 Folder Url:
/uploads/model-images/

-----------

Any suggestions on how to get round it? If at all possible I would like to avoid modifing any code that will be overwritten by any CMSB upgrades.

Paul

By Jason - November 18, 2010

Hi Paul,

CMS Builder isn't designed to work over multiple domains. In fact, the licensing agreement states that one copy of the software is to be used for only one website (domain). So to run multiple domains, you would need multiple licenses.

Hope this helps clarify.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Re: [Jason] Custom upload directory to point at different domain

By gadefgaertgqe - November 18, 2010

Hi Jason,

I contacted and spoke to one of you with regards to licensing before we made the purchase (Donna Brown from memory), and still have a copies of the emails (will have to dig them out when at work), as I was concerned about that very issue and actively researched it to seek assurance. The way our dealer network works means it is essential that there is one login/database for dealers as they can be part of multiple franchises but under the one account.

So far we have bought 3 licenses for various projects and multiple plugins. I feel a little put out by your comment, to be honest, and I am putting it down to a mis-understanding.

If you wish to take it further then I would appreciate it if it was done privately. If we need to buy another license then so be it.

With regards to the technical issue, I understand the limitation and will try to work round it as best as I can.

Thank you for your prompt support as always.

Kind Regards

Paul

By Damon - November 18, 2010

Hi Paul,

Sorry, sounds like there may be some misunderstanding.

Can you send all the details into orders@interactivetools.com and I will certainly take a look and follow-up with you.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Re: [Damon] Custom upload directory to point at different domain

By gadefgaertgqe - November 18, 2010

Hi Damon,

Details sent :)

Kind Regards

Paul

By gadefgaertgqe - November 19, 2010

OK now that's sorted (thanks for confirming everything is OK guys!), does anyone else have any suggestions?

Re: [sagentic] Custom upload directory to point at different domain

By gadefgaertgqe - November 19, 2010

Hi Kenny. Already doing that :)

There seems to be no way round this after looking at it today. Consider this thread closed.

Thank you all :)

Paul