Problems with Custom Stylesheet for WYSIWYG Text Editing

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 3, 2010   (RSS)

By newmediachoice - November 17, 2010

Hi

I have created a custom stylesheet for the styles on my WYSIWYG text editor to allow the text colour to be changed.

We are pre-populating the CMS with content for our client by cutting and pasting from Quark using the paste as plain text function. However, after styling the text, the text colours are not displaying as specified front end (although they display fine in the text editor). The problem seems to occur randomly, but usually around lists.

I have looked at the affected text via the HTML Source Editor and the tags seem to be applied randomly which I think may be causing the issue. For example, on some <li> tags, the text colour is applied as a class, but on other <li> tags within the same list, it is being applied as a span. In some instances, we have sections where the <li> tags are marked up as span classes using the hexidecimal reference for the colour as laid out in my custom stylesheet.

We are also finding that despite using the paste as plain text option to cut and paste from Quark, some text is being marked up as bold (even if it isn't bold in Quark).

The only way to get the text to display correctly front end, is to use the HTML Source Editor to clean up the tags. This is time-consuming for us, but will be impossible for the client to undertake as they don't have web authoring knowledge.

I hope you can help :).

Re: [zip222] Problems with Custom Stylesheet for WYSIWYG Text Editing

By newmediachoice - November 29, 2010

Thanks very much for the suggestion, but we have tried that prior to posting the support request (my apologies, I should have mentioned that in my original post). Whether we import from Quark or a plain text file using the paste as plain text option, we are still getting random styling issues. Can anyone assist please?

Re: [newmediachoice] Problems with Custom Stylesheet for WYSIWYG Text Editing

By Jason - November 30, 2010

Hi,

So when you view the content in the CMS, everything looks fine, but it displays differently when you view the content on the website. Is that right?

The wysiwyg editor doesn't actually apply any CSS to page. Any CSS rules that you want applied on the front end must be found in the front end, so make sure you're using the same CSS file in both places.

Start by checking there and let me know if you still run into this issue.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Problems with Custom Stylesheet for WYSIWYG Text Editing

By newmediachoice - November 30, 2010

Hi Jason

Many thanks - I implemented the styles into my main stylesheet and that worked :). I know the reason why I missed out that element of the customisation...

I followed this tutorial ... http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/gforum.cgi?post=63394;search_string=use%20custom%20stylesheet%20for%20wysiwyg;t=search_engine#63394. When revisiting the tutorial, I notice that the need to include the styles within the front end stylesheet isn't mentioned within the initial instructions. I think it must have been there originally though because the first comment under the initial instructions mentions a 'last paragraph' and queries it because the member is confused about the instructions to 'include your CSS file on your viewer page as well so the selected CSS classes display properly'. I think the initial instructions must have been edited at some point and the instruction to include the CSS front end has been deleted.

I don't mean to sound picky on this issue, but highlight it because it does demonstrate a problem I often have with your forum. Tutorials are difficult to find and when you do find them, you have to read through masses of members' comments to get a full understanding of how to approach a task. I would find it really helpful if there was an easy-to-search central repository for tutorials that I could tap into.

Perhaps there is one already and I've missed it?

Thanks again for your help.

Re: [newmediachoice] Problems with Custom Stylesheet for WYSIWYG Text Editing

By Jason - December 1, 2010

Hi,

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you now. You bring up a good point concerning tutorials and we're currently looking a few different options to get all the tutorials in a single place.

Thank you for your feedback.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Problems with Custom Stylesheet for WYSIWYG Text Editing

By newmediachoice - December 3, 2010

Thanks Jason. That's happy news! :)