Password not showing up in My Account

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 9, 2010   (RSS)

In the advanced options for the User Account Password field I have checked "My Account - Show this field in "My Account" section" but the password does not show up when viewing "My Account". I have tried this on a couple different domains using CMSB and the same thing is happening. Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong?

Re: [Jason] Password not showing up in My Account

Hi Jason,
I do have the three fields: Current Password, New Password & New Password (again) but I was thinking the Current Password field should be filled in with the user's current password. If not, then there is no way for a user to get their current password by looking at 'My Account' - is that right?

Re: [IronVictory] Password not showing up in My Account

By Jason - November 9, 2010

Hi,

Yes, by default CMS Builder won't display a user's password as text anywhere as it's a bit of a security risk. If a user forgets their password, there is a "Forgot Your Password?" link on CMS Builder's login page.

If you want to get around this and display their password, you can do the following:
Add a separator field to the User Accounts section. Set it to be HTML and use this code:
<tr>
<td>
Password:
</td>
<td><?php echo $RECORD['password'];?></td>
</tr>

Set this field to be part of the My Account page.

A couple of things to consider in doing this:
- If you're using an older version of CMS Builder, replace $RECORD with $record.
- This field will appear in EACH user account record. This means anyone looking at a user record can see that person's password as plain text.
- This is also a security risk as it will display a user's plain text password on their My Account page where anyone standing behind them can see it.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [IronVictory] Password not showing up in My Account

By zip222 - November 9, 2010

Just an observation, if a user is looking at the My Account page they already know their password since they would have needed to enter it at login.

Re: [zip222] Password not showing up in My Account

That is a good observation!

I've had some users think their password was deleted or "lost" as it wasn't showing up in the field... and panic sets in..

Re: [zip222] Password not showing up in My Account

By Jason - November 9, 2010

Hi,

This is true, but it's usually considered poor security to display a password in plain text. But if it things easier for your users, then you can definitely do it.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/