User Account Fields

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 8, 2010   (RSS)

By (Deleted User) - November 4, 2010 - edited: November 4, 2010

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to do the following:

I've setup various fields for my user account, i.e. name, email, facebook url, etc. What I want to do is somehow use those fields automatically when I upload an article, e.g. instead of me having to type my name as the author of the article it should pull it from my user account automatically, etc. I just don't want have to keep filling in fields over and over when uploading.

What I would also like to do is have the option of editing the field when uploading should I not wish to use the information that is pulled from my user account profile. So it should basically pull the information from the user account fields and put in the textfield, etc. but still allow the user the ability to change it.

Let me know if you don't understand my request and I'll try explain a bit more in detail.

Kind regards

Shawn

Re: [smesa] User Account Fields

By gkornbluth - November 4, 2010

Hi Shawn,

The information in these posts might help get you started...

http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Products_C2/CMS_Builder_F35/Showing_Author_on_List_Page_P75695

Good Luck,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] User Account Fields

By (Deleted User) - November 4, 2010

Thanks Jerry, but I'm not trying to populate the front-end of the website with the user account details but rather trying to populate existing fields in the other section editors in the admin part of the site with the user account details.

So when a user uploads an article he wouldn't have to populate certain details that he would have already uploaded when he created his account.

Is this possible?

By gkornbluth - November 4, 2010

Where do you want to view this information? Who will view it?
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By (Deleted User) - November 4, 2010

Please see the attached image for explanation.

1. User creates account and fills in various fields. In my example the Facebook field.

2. I want that Facebook link to automatically be set as the default value for Facebook field on the news section editor.

3. And finally, if it is setup as the default value then it should show up when the user adds an article on the upload page.

Hope this makes sense.

Shawn
Attachments:

image.jpg 195K

By Chris - November 4, 2010 - edited: November 4, 2010

Hi smesa,

You can enter PHP code into Default Value. Try this:

Default Value: <?php echo $CURRENT_USER['facebook']; ?>

Does that help?
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] User Account Fields

By (Deleted User) - November 5, 2010

That works perfectly Chris. You're a genius.

It makes things so much easier for users who don't want to keep filling in the same fields over and over but still gives them the ability to edit the field should they want to insert different information.

I'm having so much fun with CMS builder. I still need to purhase the membership plugin which I will be doing really soon.

Thanks guys!

By (Deleted User) - November 7, 2010

Hi Chris,

Just curious if it's possible to do the same thing with the upload field? Doesn't seem to give a default value option.

Shawn

By Jason - November 8, 2010

Hi Shawn,

The website membership plugin doesn't load any upload fields to the $CURRENT_USER variable. So, to get an upload field you'll need to use the getRecords function to select the record for that user. You can get the userNumber like this:
$CURRENT_USER['num']

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/