Auto backup / backup options

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 22, 2010   (RSS)

By weblm - October 22, 2010

First off let me say that I hope revision tracking is on the radar for future releases of CMS Builder. It's a fantastic tool that we have had multiple clients purchase to build their new sites with. The largest flaw seems to be backups. It's far to easy to make a mistake and lose an entire post/page.

I have a question on whether it would be possible to do two things.

1) Can CMS builder be hacked to, in the background, when a client logs into the admin, the backup script is automatically run and a new backup is created?

2) We setup some clients accounts to not have Admin access. However, when we do this, they lose the ability to get to the backup button in the admin section. Is there a way to add this button to the left menu so they don't need to be admins to backup. Keeping restore in the admin is fine.

Also if anyone knows about any backup plugins that work on a per post/per change basis, let me know. We'd really love the ability to track even just the last change to a page or post, so we can roll back if a mistake is made.

The full backup function within CMS Builder is good.....and it is easy....but where it falls short is if a client backs up at the beginning of making changes....but makes a mistake after making a bunch of changes.....they can't just restore a backup because that would overwrite all the "good" changes that were made.

Thanks....keep up the great work on CMS Builder though.....we and our clients love it. We just setup our 4th client yesterday with it.

-Kevin
LM

Re: [kblm] Auto backup / backup options

By Jason - October 22, 2010

Hi Kevin,

You care correct, you will set how many hours/days,etc that backups will be kept for so they don't pile up.

If you need any further customization to this, please send an email to consulting@interactivetools.com.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/