Viewer Access

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 25, 2010   (RSS)

By jtedescojam - August 24, 2010

I need to assign someone to viewer access only, but also allow the permission to export a report. Is there any kind of 'work-around' for this? or do I have to make her an editor?
John Tedesco

Creative Director

JAM Graphics

Re: [jtedescojam] Viewer Access

By Jason - August 24, 2010

Hi,

If you're using CMS Builder v 2.05, you can set a user's permission to "Viewer" either for individual sections, or all sections. If the report your referring to is the CSV Export plugin, they should still be able to run that.

If you run into any issues, let me know.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Viewer Access

By jtedescojam - August 24, 2010

Yeah I thought so too.. here's the message I get when I choose to export all records...

You don't have permissions to access this menu.

V. 2.05 is what's installed.

thanks for your quick response.
John Tedesco

Creative Director

JAM Graphics

By Jason - August 24, 2010

Hi,

It turns out that if you only have viewer permissions, CMS Builder doesn't allow them to run this plugin.

If this is critical, we can get around it, but it could potentially allow them to do other things that a view only user usually can't do. It would remove a piece of that error checking.

Let me know.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Chris - August 25, 2010

Hi jtedescojam,

I have a solution for you which won't cause any security issues, but it'll require editing a CMS Builder source code file:

Open up cmsAdmin/lib/menus/default/actionHandler.php in a text editor and find the following line of code, which should be on line 172:

if (userHasSectionViewerAccessOnly( $tableName ) && !in_array($action, array('list','view','uploadList'))) { $noAccess = 1; }

...add the code in red to it:

if (userHasSectionViewerAccessOnly( $tableName ) && !in_array($action, array('list','view','uploadList','exportAllCSV','exportSearchCSV','exportCheckedCSV'))) { $noAccess = 1; }

This solution should work fine for you, but won't survive an upgrade.

I'm going to figure out a better solution for this, which I'm hoping I'll be able to get into the next version of CMS Builder and the CSV Export plugin. Please note that you'll need to upgrade both to get this working again.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris