$prevRecord/$nextRecords and Categories

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 20, 2010   (RSS)

Hi, All -

Is there a way to help the built in $prevRecord/$nextRecord/etc. controls work with/around categories?

The controls work fine when all the available records are lined up together. However, as soon as you assign the records to different categories it starts to break!

I don't think I'm asking it to do anything too complex. It'd just be good if were able to ignore records which aren't assigned to the same category (as the one being viewed).

Do-able?

:0)

Perch

Re: [Perchpole] $prevRecord/$nextRecords and Categories

By Chris - August 20, 2010 - edited: August 20, 2010

Hi Perch,

Great idea!

I'll add this feature to the next release of CMS Builder, but since the change is so small I thought you might want to make it yourself to your CMS Builder so you can start using it right away. That is, if you're feeling adventurous!

Open up cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php in a text editor, look for the following section, and add the line in red:

// get mysql to figure out which nums are prev, next, first, and last
// NOTE: "The order of evaluation for expressions involving user variables is undefined..." See: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/user-variables.html
$query = "SELECT \n";
$query .= " IF(@firstNum, NULL, @firstNum:=num),\n"; // get firstRecordNum
$query .= " @lastNum := num,\n"; // get lastRecordNum
$query .= " IF(num='$targetNum', (@foundTarget:=1) AND (@prevNum:=@lastSeenNum), @lastSeenNum:=num),\n"; // get prevRecordNum
$query .= " IF(@foundTarget=1 AND num !='$targetNum' AND @nextNum = 0, @nextNum := num, null)\n"; // get nextRecordNum
$query .= "FROM `$mysqlTableName` \n";
if (@$options['where']) { $query .= "WHERE {$options['where']} \n"; }
$query .= "ORDER BY $orderBy \n";
mysql_query($query) or die("MySQL Error: ". htmlspecialchars(mysql_error()). "\n");

Now you can add a 'where' clause to the options you send to getPrevAndNextRecords(). For example:

list($prevRecord, $nextRecord, $firstRecord, $lastRecord) = getPrevAndNextRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'articles',
'recordNum' => $record['num'],
'where' => mysql_escapef('category = ?', $record['category']), // optional - defaults to all records in section
'orderBy' => 'createdDate', // optional - defaults to schema listPageOrder
));

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris