Repeatedly asking for login as I navigated through CMS

9 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 9, 2010   (RSS)

By meg - July 26, 2010

I've had a CMS installed on a website now for a few weeks and I'm just finishing up with the integration, but today I'm experiencing something that I never had before - every time I try to go to a new page or even navigate through the CMS, it keeps prompting me to submit my user name/password again. Is this a server glitch? I never had this problem before and it just started about 30min ago. Could it be because another user is logged in and it's confused about the sessions or is it a server issue that I need to call the hosting package about? Any suggestions?

Re: [meg] Repeatedly asking for login as I navigated through CMS

By Jason - July 26, 2010

Hi,

This could be a couple of things. It wouldn't be another user logging in, since sessions would be specific to an individual computer and browser.

First thing, are you experiencing this problem with any other sites other than CMS Builder (ie, email, facebook,etc). Does this only happen in one browser (ie. it works in FireFox, but on in IE)?

The most likely cause is that your server is setting an extremely short lifetime for your sessions. If you're still running into a problem, please email your CMS Login and FTP details to jason@interactivetools.com and I can take a look.

Please only email this information, don't post it to the forum.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Repeatedly asking for login as I navigated through CMS

By meg - July 26, 2010

Hey Jason,

It isn't happening on other websites nor is it specific to one browser. I just upgrade Safari and tried it with no luck, as well as Firefox and IE 8 on PC.

I just sent the ftp info to your support system, but I can send it again to you shortly.

Thanks for your assistance in all of this. It's really odd that everything seemed to work fine and now it doesn't suddenly this afternoon.

Re: [meg] Repeatedly asking for login as I navigated through CMS

By Jason - July 27, 2010

Update on this issue:

All of the settings inside CMS Builder were correct and it has been reported that the problem is no longer there.

The most likely cause is that something was temporarily changed on server that affected how session variables were handled. I had another client report the same issue, only to have the problem go away a few hours later.

If anyone else has a similar problem, please let us know. You can also contact your hosting provider to report the problem and ask if any maintenance is being performed on your server.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com

By zip222 - August 9, 2010

I think I am experiencing this same issue. How do I resolve this?

Re: [zip222] Repeatedly asking for login as I navigated through CMS

By Jason - August 9, 2010

Hi,

This problem seems to be caused when something changes on the sever that alters how session variables are handled. It`s not a problem with CMS Builder. The best thing to do is to contact your hosting provider to report the problem (be sure to tell them that the server is not maintaining session variables).

Have you been experiencing the problem long? For the most part the issue seems to go away after a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com

By zip222 - August 9, 2010

Actually it seems to have already gone away. It first appeared shortly after I tried to make an adjustment to a file upload within a section editor. It tripped some crazy error message. But now that's not happening and everything appears to be functioning properly.

Re: [zip222] Repeatedly asking for login as I navigated through CMS

By Jason - August 9, 2010

Glad to hear that everything is working for you now.
interactivetools.com