User Levels

6 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 3, 2010   (RSS)

By nprivette - July 26, 2010

I want to set up a system that manages personal information for employees at a number of different colleges. The employee and his/her managers at various levels will need password-protected access to the records. So I need the following user permission levels:

Super Admin: Has access to all employee records in the database

Admin: Has access to all employee records at a particular college

Manager: Has access to all employee records in a particular department at a college

Author: Has access only to his/her own employee record

In other words, I need to allow user access to records based on two assigned categories (college and department). Is this a custom programming job, or is it something I can put together with the CMS builder?

Thanks! You guys are great with your support!

Re: [nprivette] User Levels

By Jason - July 26, 2010

Hi,

In terms of accessing your records from within CMS Builder, by default, it could handle the Super Admin level and the author level.

This would be a custom programming job if you wanted to be able to handle all 3 within CMS Builder.

You could also create your own external system using the website membership plugin and then allow access to records depending on any user levels you want to assign.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] User Levels

By northernpenguin - November 3, 2010

Jason: I'm interested by the comment you made:

You could also create your own external system using the website membership plugin and then allow access to records depending on any user levels you want to assign.

Could you amplify a bit on this comment? I have the member ship plugin and want to create groups that would share "Author" privileges over a set of records assigned to the specific group.
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

Re: [northernpenguin] User Levels

By Jason - November 3, 2010

Hi,

What I meant by an "external system" is a system outside of CMS Builder. If you have the websitemembership plugin, you can control exactly how records are accessed on an external page based on any criteria you want. Any field that you create in the User Accounts section can be accessed through the $CURRENT_USER variable using the plugin. However, this would mean that you would have to handle updating records on an external .php page.

If,however, you wanted to have user groups working INSIDE CMS Builder, we would have to do some custom programming for you.

Hope this helps clarify. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] User Levels

By northernpenguin - November 3, 2010 - edited: November 3, 2010

Thanx Jason. I just placed a request for a estimate.
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke