Preview and Alert Function

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 14, 2010   (RSS)

By design9 - July 13, 2010

Hello,
I was wondering if CMS builder has the following two options that can be added in any way or if either of these are coming out in an upcoming upgrade release?

1. Preview Page - Allows the user to makes updated in CMS and then preview what the page will look like before saving and making it live.

2. Alert Notification if another user is working on a page in the backend - This would pop up some type of notification or not allow the user to make updates to a page if another user is already working in that page in the backend. Once the user is out of the page, then another user can get into the page. This would hep so the users that often make updates to the same backend page will not overwrite each other's work. (We have had an issue with this with some of the users).

If these items are not in the works, can we have these customized and what do I need to do to get a quote?

Thank you,
April

Re: [apdance9] Preview and Alert Function

By Jason - July 13, 2010

Hi April,

We do have preview functionality for sections, but not for individual records just yet. This is on your list of requested features.

The alert notification is something we can look at having customized for you. If you'd like to get a free estimate, please go to :
http://www.interactivetools.com/hire-us/
and fill out the forum there.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Preview and Alert Function

By design9 - July 13, 2010

Great! Thank you!

Can you tell me how to locate the preview function for sections? We will wait until the release of the preview for individual pages. Do you know when this may be released?

I will submit a request for the alert function we need.

Thanks for your help!

April

By Jason - July 13, 2010

Hi April,

What you need to do is to create a list viewer for the section you want to preview. If you already have a .php page that displays a list of records for the section you want to preview, you can use that.

Go to the section editor for that section and click on "Viewer URLs" up at the top. Then you can type in the path of the viewer you want to use to preview it. After you've done that, click on save. When you go into that section now, you'll see a preview button in the top right corner.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com

By Jason - July 14, 2010

Hi April,

I'm not sure exactly when this will be available. However, there is a good work around. You can add a special field to your section called "hidden" it's just a check box. When it's selected, it will be "hidden" from your CMS Builder queries (ie, not live). As soon as you uncheck it, the record becomes available. You can then create some records, save them, modify them, etc, and as long as the "hidden" field is checked, users of the site won't be able to see it.

You can then create a special viewer for looking at "hidden" fields. It would be exactly the same as your regular viewer except you would change your getRecords() statement like this:

If you're getting an individual record (example):

list($articleRecord,$articleMetaData)=getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'articles',
'where' => whereRecordNumberInUrl(1),
'ignoreHidden' => true,
));

or for multiple records (example):

list($articleRecords,$articleMetaData)=getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'articles',
'ignoreHidden' => true,
'where' => "hidden=1",
));

In this last example, it will ONLY return records where the hidden field has been checked.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com