Iphone apps and sites help required

9 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 10, 2010   (RSS)

By willydoit - May 7, 2010

Hi all,

Having just invested in an iphone I can see the mileage in creating either an iphone app or iphone friendly web site which will allow users to sort through and contact accommodation advertisers within one of our sites www.bridlington.net . Unfortunately I havent a clue where to start and am looking for any suggestions on software etc which could give me a head start, despite using cms builder my css and coding knowledge is little beyond the cut and paste, scratching my head and using a bit of logic stage so need something which is as wysiwyg friendly and idiot proof as possible. We currently use dreamweaver cs4 to design in albeit at a basic level so something which would integrate would be helpful but not essential.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: [willydoit] Iphone apps and sites help required

By Jason - May 7, 2010

Hi,

An iPhone app is an actual piece of software that would have to be developed, separate from your website.

Making a website "iphone friendly" all has to do with the design and the way information is displayed.

Take a look at this article:
http://www.blogstorm.co.uk/how-to-make-your-website-mobile-friendly/

It may help point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Maurice] Iphone apps and sites help required

By willydoit - May 10, 2010

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for that, I will take a look, we are basically just wanting to take existing content on the site and format it into a mobile friendly facility to display advertisers info etc.

By Maurice - May 10, 2010

cool that ain't to hard.

have fun let me know if ik can help.

Greetz Maurice
-------------------------------------------

Dropmonkey.nl

Hi Maurice,

Just a quick thing, I have asked an Indian company to quote on creating an iphone app which will allow iphone users to view our list of accommodation advertisers by accessing the cms database from the website providing quick links to phone and email and client websites with access to all images displayed in ther listing. Also providing directions from current location to chosen accommodation, I am a little concerned about your mentioning that iphone apps with cms builder may be problematical. What issues could we expect and would we be better off not bothering rather than incurring lots of issues, unreliability and possible escalating creation costs due to compatibility issues with cms builder although I suspect that the app would just interogate the sql database directly but this is all new territory for us so not sure how the app interface would work.

The actual iphone app creation may be a non starter depending upon costs as we have no idea how much such an app would cost to develop even in India and the website concerned we run at almost non profit making as a service to the local community.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Steve

By Toledoh - May 10, 2010

From my experience, there's absolutely no issue in using CMSB created data for viewing by an iPhone. There are some complexities in accessing the admin area, but it doesn't sound as if that would be a concern of yours.
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Maurice - May 10, 2010

Hi steve,

I agree with Toledoh.

Building a iPhone or Mobile WEBSITE is no problem.

getting the DATA from cmsb To a iPhone APPS isn't either

you can build a apps completely with html, css and JavaScript. but why?? would you do that??

apps and I think are just a temp solution until G3/4 is fully working well just like macromind director when we only had 56k modems

The cheapest way to do it is to build the iPhone WEBSITE and link it with Google maps. any one can access it the iPhone apps is only for iphone users and you are missing out on the android users with is become larger and larger.

what dos a apps kost?? between the $2000 uptil $10.000 but I have seen them being build for $250 but than your are not the owner of the apps.

my advice go for the site.

hope it helps

Greetz .
-------------------------------------------

Dropmonkey.nl

Thanks a lot guys, your advice is appreciated It sounds as though the site and google maps option is the one to go for. I'll look into it this week and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your advice.