set membership signup to default to "disabled"

39 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: July 19, 2012   (RSS)

By markr - March 1, 2010

I need to moderate membership signups for this client.

In signup.php I changed disabled = '1', and re-worded the 'sendSignupMessage' to reflect a "pending" status.

Can you think of a better way that is more user friendly?

Where do those denied access get redirected? ...the logout page?

Also thinking about granting all membership but with an initial state of "pending" (in a new field) then use your "if ($CURRENT_USER['approved'])" to limit access.

When client "approves" a membership by changing pulldown field from Pending to Approved (or something like that) would like an onSave mailout to the user with her new status.

Re: [markr] set membership signup to default to "disabled"

By markr - March 1, 2010

...forgot this...

A "remember me" checkbox would be appreciated. I realize modern browwers do it anyway but it gives user a sense of action.

Re: [markr] set membership signup to default to "disabled"

By Dave - March 2, 2010

Hi markr,

Starting with the first issue, I think the simplest would be to have a "approved" checkbox that is set to 0 when a new account is created and then manually approved by the admin through the CMS.

What we could do is redirect the user to a special page that indicated that there account hasn't been approved yet.

Let me know if that works for you and I'll write up some instructions to add to the readme for that.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] set membership signup to default to "disabled"

By Toledoh - March 17, 2010

Hi Dave.

Is it possible to have the generated "Welcome" email with temp password sent out once "approved" rather than automatically?
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [Toledoh] set membership signup to default to "disabled"

By Dave - March 17, 2010

Hi Tim,

It's possible, but takes a bit of custom code. I have some new updates coming in 2.04 that will make it easier.

Basically you write a plugin that gets called on save for the accounts table and checks to see if a "approved" checkbox is set - but wasn't set previously, then you send an email.

If you are up for experimenting with the PHP code a bit to get it working feel free to email me direct and I'll see if I can send you some code examples.

Then nice thing about it is once you figure out how to write plugins that do things on save it opens up a lot of possibilities for what you can do with the software.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

By Toledoh - March 17, 2010

That's good enough for me mate! I'll wait... knowing you lot, 2.04 will be out before I finish typing this message :)
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [Toledoh] set membership signup to default to "disabled"

By Dave - April 14, 2010

Hi Tim,

Sure does, but wait for Beta 2 as we've fixed a number of bugs in Beta 1. It should be out in a day or so.

I've attached an example plugin that emails the user their password when a field called 'approved' gets checked.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com
Attachments:

emailonapproved.php 2K

By gkornbluth - May 1, 2010

Hi Dave,

Even though I set up a check box field called approved in the user accounts editor, when I try to activate the emailonapproved plugin I get the following error when I try to save a record in another editor, even though the record gets saved:

Notice: Undefined index: approved in /hsphere/local/home/apbcweb/artistsofpalmbeachcounty.org/cmsAdmin/plugins/emailOnApproved.php on line 28

Notice: Undefined index: approved in /hsphere/local/home/apbcweb/artistsofpalmbeachcounty.org/cmsAdmin/plugins/emailOnApproved.php on line 28

Notice: Undefined index: approved in /hsphere/local/home/apbcweb/artistsofpalmbeachcounty.org/cmsAdmin/plugins/emailOnApproved.php on line 29

I'm running CMSB 2.04 (release version) and the plugins Website Membership 1.02 (even though the PHP file says 1. 01), Email On Approved 1.00, auto backup 1.01, Related Record Lookup Functions 0.2, and Schema Dumper .1

Must be something that I'm doing, but I don't know what.

Thanks,

Jerry
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] set membership signup to default to "disabled"

By Dave - May 2, 2010

Hi Jerry,

Try adding this line (in red):

//
function emailOnApproved_sendPassword($tableName, $isNewRecord, $oldRecord, $recordNum) {
global $CURRENT_USER, $SETTINGS;
$fieldname = 'approved';

// error checking
if ($tableName != 'accounts') { return; }
if (!array_key_exists($fieldname, $CURRENT_USER)) {
die(__FUNCTION__ .": You must create an accounts fields called '$fieldname'!");
}

Let me know if that fixes it for you.
interactivetools.com