Photo Gallery

3 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 18, 2010   (RSS)

By gsfriend - March 15, 2010

I have a new client that will need a "portfolio" of images displayed on their site. There will be 2 categories (Interior/Exterior) and those 2 categories will have maybe 6 sub-categories each. The images contained within the different sub-categories I would like displayed in a thumbnail view with a certain number of thumbnails displayed per page. I was thinking that when someone clicked the thumbnail that would trigger a LightBox/Windows script to display the full size image.

The images would be controlled through the admin interface only as we won't be allowing customers to upload their own images to the gallery, just the admins to add new images to the gallery or remove old ones.

I've searched through the forums and have found some scattered hints on how to set this up, but nothing definitive, nor have I found a plug-in to purchase (which I would gladly do) from the plug-in store.

I would very much appreciate if someone could not only confirm that this is possible using CMS Builder but also some sort of guide on how to accomplish it. I'm no stranger to CMS Builder or website design, but I want to make sure this is done right and easy for my client to add/remove images themselves without having to get me involved.

Thanks in advance for any help you are willing to give me.
--------------

Scott Friend

Freelance Website Design

www.scottfriendwebsitedesign.com

Re: [gsfriend] Photo Gallery

By Dave - March 17, 2010

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your post and sorry for the delay in responding.

It's certainly possible, but may be a little bit of work depending on how advanced or complex the image gallery you design is.

The first step would be to design a html mockup of how you'd like the pages to look. We always recommend this as the first step.

Next would be to figure out the best way to accomplish that in the CMS. There's a few ways, one would be to create a category section with fields for "Name" and "Photos". The category section type lets you organize categories under other categories so that would take care of the structure.

Let me know when you have your mockups ready and I'll give you some tips on these next steps.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com