display a field value as "default value" for a texbox field (admin side)

9 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 16, 2010   (RSS)

By willbegood - March 13, 2010

Hello,

Let's say i have an editor "person"
Here are my fields that define "person"

name (text field)
age (text field)
description (text box)

I want to set for "descrition" as default value something like that :

"His name is $name and he is $age years old, please call this person"
I want this admin side, i know how to do it with a piece of PHP for a viewer page front side.

I've already tryed to put php code in the default value of my text area... without no result.

Can anybody help?

Re: [gkornbluth] display a field value as "default value" for a texbox field (admin side)

By willbegood - March 15, 2010

I mean inside cms builder

Re: [willbegood] display a field value as "default value" for a texbox field (admin side)

By gkornbluth - March 15, 2010

sorry but I still don't understand

Jerry
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] display a field value as "default value" for a texbox field (admin side)

see attachment for what i'm trying to do
Attachments:

image-2.png 157K

Re: [willbegood] display a field value as "default value" for a texbox field (admin side)

By gkornbluth - March 15, 2010

Do the values that you want to display come from another table?

Jerry

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

no from the same table. I suppose there is a particular syntax to use, but don't know which one.

By Chris - March 15, 2010

Hi willbegood,

I don't think PHP alone could solve this, since the name and age fields are on the same web page as the description field. I think the only way to solve this would be with some custom JavaScript which dynamically updates the text field.

A simple alternative might be to literally use "$name" and "$age" in your description field, then replace them on the front-end:

<?php
$record['description'] = str_replace('$name', $record['name'], $record['description']);
$record['description'] = str_replace('$age', $record['age'], $record['description']);
echo htmlspecialchars($record['description']);
?>

If you're set on having the textbox dynamically update, we could accomplish this via custom programming through our consulting service. Please let me know if you're interested in that.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] display a field value as "default value" for a texbox field (admin side)

By gkornbluth - March 16, 2010

Chris,

Thanks for fielding this one.

Jerry