Boosting set up time

8 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 1, 2010   (RSS)

By DanMaitland - February 28, 2010

Hi, Let me start off by saying that we here at Heelatch just love CMS Builder but are now considering changing CMS platforms due to the long set up nature of CMS Builder. let me explain:

We have been using CMS Builder now for the past 5 or so years and have always found that it not only suited our technical needs but has the flexibility for designing that a lot of other similar solutions just don't give us. That being said... in the past the flexibility and ease of use has always outweighed the whole set-up process (meaning setting up all the sections fields etc...) . We have now got to the point that we need this process to be cut down in order for us to continue using CMS Builder.

We are now looking into TYPOlight because it has a lot of the features if not more that CMS Builder including the general set up. So this is the make or break question I guess:

Is there a way that when we set-up a new installation of CMS Builder that there could be some basic things already set up i.e. specific sections with specific fields. This way we can focus on design instead of spending to much time on setting up sections and fields. I know this doesn't seem like much but in the end every minute counts. This has always been something that we knew would come into play as our firm would start to accumulate more and more projects. I really hope that there could be some sort of solution to this. We don't mind paying for a specific one time set up for this functionality but it will be the deciding factor as to whether we continue with CMS builder or change to a platform that increases our set up time. I really hope that I am being clear. Thanks.

Re: [Dan Maitland] Boosting set up time

By Perchpole - February 28, 2010

Hi, Dan -

Welcome to the forum. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "set-up time". It takes me about 5 minutes to create a fresh installation of CMS Builder. It takes a few more to set-up a few sections. The rest of the process is down to the individual author/designer.

You have to remember that CMSB isn't some sort of prefab system - like Joomla. It doesn't promise to create a web site for you. That's not the aim of the software. It takes a different approach and far more thought to implement. As a result most users get far more out of it than folks who simply want an instant web portal at the press of a button.

In my very humble experience, aps like Joomla (and it's clones) are to be avoided - simply because they make you lazy!

:0)

Perchpole

By Toledoh - February 28, 2010

I may not be following you 100%, but couldn't you set up your own preset templates? Just make a bunch of "standard" sections then copy them across with each install.

http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Products_C2/CMS_Builder_F35/Boosting_set_up_time_P78134/gforum.cgi?post=77128;search_string=preset;t=search_engine#77128
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Dave - February 28, 2010

Hi Dan,

Our #1 focus for CMSB is development speed, so please feel free to post any issues like they you are having, or email me direct or phone in. Often we can give you a solution in a few minutes that can save you hours, or at the very least we can get feature requests on our radar for future versions.

For this one, I think CMSB already does what you suggest, you can setup your own pre-defined sections that get included in the "Add Preset Section" list.

You can also configure it so all you do is upload the program and there will be default sections setup complete with data in them.

CMSB is so open-ended we can't document every possible configuration as there are so many but let me know how you'd like it to work and I can provide more details.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Boosting set up time

By DanMaitland - February 28, 2010

Dave that was the exact answer I was hoping to hear. I would really like to know how to add our pages to appear in the presets dropdown. Can you please send me the link to the documentation or at least point me in the right direction.

By Dave - February 28, 2010 - edited: February 28, 2010

Hi Dan,

Ok great, try this:
- Create a new section called "test"
- Copy /cmsAdmin/data/schema/test.ini.php
- To /cmsAdmin/data/schemaPresets/test.ini.php
- Then try creating a new section and confirm your test section is now in the preset list.

It's mentioned on the bottom of these pages in the docs, but easy to miss:
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/section_editors.html
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/add_new_editor.html

We're going to add a "Save As Preset" button to the next version to make this functionality more obvious (and even easier).

Hope that helps! :) Let me know if you have any other questions or issues.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Boosting set up time

By Toledoh - March 1, 2010

Not sure if this is of any help (or interest...) to anyone, but with all the recent upgrades to CMSB I've been rebuilding what I refer to as my Master Site.

Basically, I'm trying to get together all my repeating functions and package them into chunks. Each chunck has a standard bit of HTML, the section php code, and some standard CSS.

I also have basic page layouts (960.css) that I put together with php includes that I use all the time (ie. header | footer | 1 / 2 & 3 columns | navigation etc).

I normally jazz the sites up a bit with some jQuery stuff - and most of these follow a very similar layout (<ul><li>...) so I have snippets of php and css for each of them.

Together with some CMSB plugins and preset templates - the website "shell" is built in no time. Just add content and a "skin".

By the time the site is done, I've normally tweaked bits and pieces all over the place - my naming convention is shot, and the site and made such a mess that the code is embarrasing - but it seems to work for me.

I've attached the site map. Please, feel free to let me know of any sections I've missed!
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)
Attachments:

mastersite.pdf 51K