Membership Portal

By Maurice - February 23, 2010 - edited: February 23, 2010

HI IT,

We are building a membership portal.

While building we cam with some Q's.

1 if I want documents and files for just 1 member can i just add a upload field in the user account and will it than only show for that specific user?

2 is there a way i can make a category that can only be accessed just for one users or just 1 group?

3 with the Membership addon on I want to make the following security levels.

membership
----- company
---------user

so more of a user an groups system how can this be done???

Greetz Maurice
-------------------------------------------

Dropmonkey.nl

Re: [Maurice] Membership Portal

By Dave - February 24, 2010

Hi Maurice,

The quickest way to do it is often to try a few ways of arranging the fields and sections. This is what we do when building sites.

>1 if I want documents and files for just 1 member can i just add a upload field in
>the user account and will it than only show for that specific user?

Assuming users login to your membership portal you will have their user account number in $CURRENT_USER['num']. So you could show files by:

A) Loading their user record and listing the uploads there

B) Creating a field to indicate access such as a checkbox called "salesDocuments". Then in another section called "files" you could have the same checkbox and then list files from "files" that had the same things checked as the user:

Usually what I do is set up the fields in a way that will make sense to the user entered data and then figure out how to do the code for it after.

>2 is there a way i can make a category that can only be accessed just for
>one users or just 1 group?

Yes, as above you just would need to create fields to indicate:
- For the category: What users or groups have access to that category
- For the user: What groups they are in

Then write a where query to match them up (only show categories that are selected for the user or for the groups the user is in).

>3 with the Membership addon on I want to make the following security levels.

Yes, as above this is possible and we've done this before. Just create a section called company, then a pulldown in accounts for "companyNum" that uses the num and name from the company section, then create the same pulldowns for sections or records you want to grant access to, and then write the where.

Note that this is usually enforced done through a front-end login system, not CMSB, as CMSB has more limitations on how you can create new security & company roles and rules.

Sometimes it helps to sketch out the sections and fields on paper and draw some lines to figure out how they should all relate.

So, it's all possible, it will just take a bit of custom code and some patience to try different arrangements.

Once you've built something like this once you'll have a much better understanding for the next time and it will really open up a whole new range of sites you can build with CMSB.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Membership Portal

By Maurice - February 25, 2010

thanks Dave for taking the time to explain.

Wish it could be eassier I think we will use expressionengine.com for the more complex sites there backends are more focused on the end user (our clients) ho needs to manage everything we just design.

but we will give it a try. but like any new media

Maurice

Dropmonkey.nl

By Dave - February 25, 2010

Yea, if you can find a prepackaged solutions that does everything (or most of what) you need it might be faster/cheaper for you.

That said, you've got some pretty smart guys working for you, I'd at least give them a few hours to try and see what they can come up with! ;)

The benefit of CMSB is it's so open-ended you can build anything, but more advanced systems take a bit more database/programming know how.

Eventually we'll add some more pre-made templates for things like portals to the add-on store so you can just buy that (with sections already set up) and add your design.

We've done custom intranet/extranet file portals before and it's on our list to build for the add-on store.

All the best,
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Membership Portal

By Maurice - February 26, 2010

Thnx Dave

sorry but my perspective is totally different.

at least give them a few hours
= time is money ;-) you know that working with us hahahahaha.

but cms should be easy of use for

a. the developer
b. the web designer.
c. the backend user (our customers)

I still find CMSB great but is still is to much build by techies witch is great. but there should be more balance

We love CMSB cause we have some techies here but we are a design bureau with a need for speed [;)]
and with much more needs than the most CMSB users.

But we will find ways to get the job done.

thnx

Greetz

Dropmonkey.nl

By Dave - February 26, 2010

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your feedback.

Speed is our #1 focus too, so you can count on us to keep making the software let your designers do more and more things that only programmers could do before.

:)
interactivetools.com