WebsiteMembership Plugin - Non Generated Password

Re: [chrisl] WebsiteMembership Plugin - Non Generated Password

By Chris - February 11, 2010

Hi chrisl,

The existing process has the advantage of making sure that users have supplied real email addresses. If they specify a fake email, they won't receive their temporary password.

If you want to change things, it'll require some coding...

The password is generated by this line in sample_signup.php:

$_REQUEST['password'] = substr(md5(uniqid(rand(), true)), 15); // example output: c5560251ef0b3eef9

If you remove that line and add an <input> in your form for "password", users will be able to supply their own passwords. You'd also want to add some validation checks to make sure people type in a password. You may want to add a "Password again" feature too to make sure people don't mistype their password.

If you want to prevent the email from being sent, simply remove this line:

_websiteLogin_sendSignupMessage();

You'll also want to update the "thanks" message to reflect that no email has been sent.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] WebsiteMembership Plugin - Non Generated Password

By chrisl - February 11, 2010

Yes I see the logic in the way it is designed. I will not amend it. The statement $_REQUEST['password'] = substr(md5(uniqid(rand(), true)), 15); // example output: c5560251ef0b3eef9 - is the "15" the command that generates the length of the password (trying to simplify it for our members)? So if you replace 15 with say 5 it would generate a shorter password?
cj

Re: [chrisl] WebsiteMembership Plugin - Non Generated Password

By Chris - February 11, 2010 - edited: February 11, 2010

Hi chrisl,

Almost. The 15 skips the first 15 characters of the 32 characters returned by md5(), resulting in a 17 character string. To get 5 characters, try this:

$_REQUEST['password'] = substr(md5(uniqid(rand(), true)), 0, 5); // example output: c5560

That's a great solution. :)
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] WebsiteMembership Plugin - Non Generated Password

By chrisl - February 11, 2010

Outstanding. Works like a charm.
cj