New to CMS BUILDER

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 2, 2010   (RSS)

By frtaz - February 2, 2010

Hello all I have a question for you. I am new to Cms Builder and do not know where to start. I bought the software and uploaded it to my sever. but I do not know what to do next. do I need to upload my own templates to the sever or does CMS BUILDER make them for me?

I make a Home link Single page. I can not download the code to past inside a blank index template. any help on this would be great. thank.

Is there any help files on step by step what to do for us new comers?

Re: [frtaz] New to CMS BUILDER

By gkornbluth - February 2, 2010

Hi Frtaz.

Creating your first CMS pages can seem confusing in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it soon.

One difference between HTML hard coding and CMS, is that with CMS the information displayed on the page is pulled from fields in either one, or a number of database tables (sections) that you create.

Those database tables can each contain of either one record (a single record database table (for an about us section for example), or a series of records in a multi-record table (a list of videos for example).

Let's get started creating your first page

In, in your admin area under section editors, create a simple single record editor and call it Index.

Then go to the menu of existing sections (left side of the admin page) and click on the new "Index" section that you just created.

Add some information in the fields provided, and save the record.

Now go to the code generator in the admin section and choose the Index section, and the Detail page radio button.

Paste the code generated into a blank web page, name it indextest.php and upload it to your server.

Notice where the various pieces of information appear on the viewer page and compare it to the code of the page.

You can add any fields you like to the editor, re-generate the code, and place the code snippets anywhere on your page that you'd like.

Once you get the hang of this, try inserting the code at the top of the page into your template, and then inserting the appropriate code snippets where you want the fields (pieces of information) to appear on your template.

It may take a bit of getting used to, but once you understand the concepts behind CMS, there's virtually nothing that can not be done with CMSB.

Hope that gets you started,

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [frtaz] New to CMS BUILDER

By zip222 - February 2, 2010

You will build your webpages as your normally do, using XHTML. But you will also need to insert some PHP for connecting to the database, grabbing the data you need, and displaying it in the appropriate pages on the page. All of the PHP you will need is given to you by CMSBuilder so you just need to copy and paste.

Its possible that your files will need to have the .php extension.