filtering certain fields in signup entry

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 5, 2010   (RSS)

By Codee - December 31, 2009 - edited: January 2, 2010

Dave and Co,
I can't find where this sequence has been mentioned so please direct me to the notes if it has; or under consulting if necessary...

My client's site, which will be using CMSB, needs an auto signup form (which can be done with the form stuff Dave's posted previously, I believe); but they have a caveat or two that I don't know how to handle.

They are requiring a valid email address, so it needs some type of email addy validation AND they don't want to allow certain domains of email to be allowed (hotmail, gmail, some other free ones, and known spam ones) so anyone submitting signups with those types of addresses would get a rejection message or "try again" message.

Have you already done something like this or how to go about it?

Thanks![:)]

Re: [equinox69] filtering certain fields in signup entry

By Dave - January 4, 2010

Hi Terry,

For website sign-up and login projects we use and recommend the Website Membership plugin:
http://www.interactivetools.com/add-ons/detail.php?Website-Membership-1012

It does the sign-up part and a lot more and comes with instructions for common tasks.

We'll also be releasing an update for that shortly that will include a profile edit form and a system where it emails new users a random password (so you know they have a valid email to have received that password if they login).

For the email restrictions, you can have something like this:

if (preg_match("/@hotmail.com/i", $_REQUEST['email'])) {
die("Free email's not permitted!");
}

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] filtering certain fields in signup entry

By Codee - January 4, 2010

Hi Dave,
Okay, the plugin looks very cool but I'm wondering about a few additional features I would expect from a Membership Module - available or for soon-to-be releases:

- Form fields validated for accuracy?
-Does it allow/do any form of autopay/recurring billing?
-create multiple account types?
-Account specific configurations for user groups, automatic/manual approval, pre-approval emails, email connfirmation requirements, account length, account charges, response to successful and unsuccessful registration attempts, automated email to remind of expiring accounts (non-recurring accounts).
-set up user "groups"? Provide access to multiple directories to different members?
-"Individual" group option - can members setup and access their own private directory, unique to their username.{ Only they can access it.}?
- Configurable templates for not just HTML pages but also for email responses , including personalization fields and mass mail features.
-Strong level of administration security as well as strong encryption of member and administrator passwords
-Member failed login attempts receive easy to understand responses and tool to retrieve member login information via email.
-Automatically temporarily block large number of failed login attempts for a configurable period of time [protection against password-hacking]
-Permanently ban email addresses or entire domains which you do not wish to give membership accounts to [built in as an option, not as custom code addition]
-User search by username, first or last Name or by email Address?

Thanks!

Re: [equinox69] filtering certain fields in signup entry

By Dave - January 5, 2010

Hi Terry,

It doesn't do subscription/payment type of membership, it does basic member signup, password reminder, login, edit profile, etc. So if you need all those other things it's probably not the right fit.

Here's answers to each question:

>- Form fields validated for accuracy?

There's basic example code for required fields and valid emails.

>-Does it allow/do any form of autopay/recurring billing?

No

>-create multiple account types?

No, but you could add a pulldown that would set a field in the accounts menu.

>-Account specific configurations for user groups, automatic/manual
>approval, pre-approval emails, email connfirmation requirements,
>account length, account charges, response to successful and
> unsuccessful registration attempts, automated email to remind of
>expiring accounts (non-recurring accounts).

No, it doesn't do any of that.

>-set up user "groups"? Provide access to multiple directories to different members?

No

>-"Individual" group option - can members setup and access their own private
>directory, unique to their username.{ Only they can access it.}?

No

>- Configurable templates for not just HTML pages but also for email responses,
>including personalization fields and mass mail features.

No, but you can modify the password reminder and signup emails in the plugin.

>-Strong level of administration security as well as strong encryption of member
>and administrator passwords

No, password are plaintext for ease of use (we're aware of the security trade-off here)

>-Member failed login attempts receive easy to understand responses and tool to >retrieve member login information via email.

No

>-Automatically temporarily block large number of failed login attempts for a
>configurable period of time [protection against password-hacking]

No

>-Permanently ban email addresses or entire domains which you do not wish
>to give membership accounts to [built in as an option, not as custom code addition]

No

>-User search by username, first or last Name or by email Address?

No, but you could search by those fields in the CMS Admin or setup a search page using the docs here: http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/viewer_search.html

It sounds like you may want a pre-made packaged membership and subscription system. Our add-ons are really more built to be tools for building custom solutions.

If you can find a pre-made solution that does everything you need, you'll probably save time and money by going with that. But if you need a custom solution or want to be able to extend it in future then the add-ons can save a lot of time in custom programming, but may also require additional programming as well.

We use these add-ons ourselves when building custom sites (that have requirements that can't be met by existing pre-made packages).

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com