Planning to switch from AM to CMSB - interaction between CMSB and plugins

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 26, 2009   (RSS)

Re: [tribulatio] Planning to switch from AM to CMSB - interaction between CMSB and plugins

By Donna - December 22, 2009

Hi there,

Hmm, I'm not sure I would say that's the difference -- in the case of captions, for example, Article Manager & CMS Builder have exactly the same functionality, in that if you're using an upload field, your captions can automatically show up underneath (or wherever else you want them to appear.) However, CMS Builder goes one step further, and allows you to upload an image directly into the WYSIWYG editor itself. This isn't a feature that Article Manager actually has.

Lots of things with Article Manager have always required external plugins -- comments, for example. What it comes down to is that we hate to say "No, it can't do that", so we try to come up with a solution no matter what -- even if that solution is "here, try this script!"

That said, if you're happy using Article Manager, and it's doing everything you need it to... then there's no need to switch. I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. If you're looking for more functionality that CMS Builder offers, then by all means, upgrading is the right choice. But if your current solution is working great... don't mess with it. :)

Article Manager will never just "stop working", nor will any of our plugins. Even if something is no longer maintained, that doesn't make it stop. We discontinued some of our other programs (Page Publisher, Listings Manager, etc) years ago, and we still have people plugging along quite happily on these older programs with no problem whatsoever. :)

CMS Builder can definitely do a lot more than Article Manager. It does it in a very different way, and in some cases, can require a bit more work as it wasn't designed "out of the box" to be a news program. That said, there's very little I can think of that Article Manager can do that CMS Builder can't -- no plugins required, but some coding experience would definitely come in handy. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Planning to switch from AM to CMSB - interaction between CMSB and plugins

By tribulatio - December 26, 2009

Thank you for the explanations, Donna! Probably I got confused by the fact that the demo did not include any upload field, but it is true that, when reading again the thread on "legend below an image", it tells that I do not need any plugin in the "real" CMS Builder. Your post was very useful, since it helped me to clarify the issue I had.

Based on what you are telling me, I think that I see the way ahead: I will buy right now a CMS Builder license, although I will probably install it on my website only after a few months (I assume that I can download the latest version then, in case there is an upgrade in the meantime). But I will keep the already existing articles in AM1, as they were.

You are right, AM1 could actually still do the job for some time, until I reach the upper limit for the number of articles. But since my website is already in two languages, and I am considering to add a third one (non-Latin script) at some point in 2010, probably CMS Builder will be much more appropriate for doing the job. Of course, there will be a period of adjustment, like it is for every new tool. But version 2 of CMS Builder seems to be a very robust and mature version, so it is probably the right time to switch.

A main reason for keeping old articles in AM1 is my commitment to permanent URLs: it will be much easier this way.

It is nice to be an Interactive Tools customer! And to see how consistent and friendly support is. I just checked: I bought my first AM1 license on Dec. 31, 2002! Subsequently, I bought in 2003 and 2004 three other AM1 licenses, and also three NM licenses. I skipped entirely AM2, and will thus go directly to CMS Builder.