getting individual record numbers?

17 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 8, 2009   (RSS)

Hi - I have a pages that is basically a table, into which I need to put conference topics from 4 years.

I have created the multi record thingy, but of course, it lists all the topics in a long list, whereas I need to seperate them out into each table cell.

My question is how do I say 'put record #1 here, put record #2 here, etc - rather than just
> Record Number: <?php echo $record['num'] ?>

...which lists the whole thing?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: [jimbly2] getting individual record numbers?

By Chris - November 30, 2009

Hi Jim,

While it's definitely possible to hard-code a custom layout using record numbers, if we can figure out a way to get CMS Builder to organize your records for you, you can save yourself a lot of work and potential future headaches.

Are there rules to how the records should be laid out in the table -- for example, ordered by date in a three column list with yearly header rows? Please explain how you'd like things laid out in your table.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] getting individual record numbers?

Hi Chris,

thanks for responding - yu can see what I'm trying to do here:

http://www.madhouse1.com/clients/nawc/campaigns.php

I thought by putting each record number in each area it might work?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

By Chris - November 30, 2009 - edited: November 30, 2009

Hi Jim,

I'd create a section called "resolutions" with three fields: "content", "year", and "region". Then I'd start with the following code:

<?php
require_once "full path to viewer_functions.php";

list($resolutionsRecords,) = getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'resolutions',
'orderBy' => 'year DESC, region'
));

?>

<table>
<tr>
<?php foreach ($resolutionsRecords as $record): ?>

<?php if ($record['year'] != @$currentYear): ?>
<?php if (@$currentYear): ?>
</tr><tr>
<?php endif ?>
<?php $currentYear = $record['year'] ?>
<?php $columnCount = 0 ?>
<td colspan="4">
Resolutions passed at the <?php echo htmlspecialchars($currentYear) ?> Conference:
</td>
</tr><tr>
<?php endif ?>

<?php $columnCount++ ?>
<td class="<?php echo $columnCount % 2 ? 'odd' : 'even' ?>">
<?php echo $record['content'] ?>
</td>
<?php endforeach ?>
</tr>
</table>

<?php if (!$resolutionsRecords): ?>
No records were found!<br/><br/>
<?php endif ?>

Note that with this approach you'd want to be careful to make sure that there's a record for each region-year combination. I think this will be more managable than using record numbers.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: I added some code to alternate <td> classes so you can style your cells with alternating yellow and white backgrounds like in your example.
All the best,
Chris

By jimbly2 - December 1, 2009

Hi Chris,

thanks for that - I created that section with those fields, but all I get is:

getRecords(resolutions): Unknown field 'title' in filenameFields or titleField options!

I thought this might be because it says 'Title, in the list order so I deleted it, but still gives an error.
Also - is this still going to link through to the main story - the page I sent you a link to is the 'list' page - so the content is, in effect the title, with a link to click through to the main article.

Jim

By jimbly2 - December 1, 2009

Hi - ok I have sorted the error by adding another field 'title' - which I guess I'd need anyway - but I'm totally confuddled as to how I can incorporate this into my layout, and make it link through to the full article in each case?
The client is so picky ( it's her layout!) that I can't deviate from it unfortunately.

Thanks

Jim

By Chris - December 1, 2009

Hi Jim,

How about using your 'title' field as the link text on your list page? Change this:

<?php echo $record['content'] ?>

to this:

<a href="<?php echo $record['_link'] ?>"><?php echo $record['title'] ?></a>

You could also add "Region #" (as is displayed in your mockup) like this:

Region <?php echo $record['region'] ?><br />
<a href="<?php echo $record['_link'] ?>"><?php echo $record['title'] ?></a>

Does that help? Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

By jimbly2 - December 4, 2009

Hi Chris,

thanks for that - the links in the title to the story work fine - but I don't really understand how I get this code to work in my layout - which bits do I put in each cell? Or will it only work in the way that you've done it here?

thanks for any light you can shed!

best

Jim [unsure]

By jimbly2 - December 7, 2009

Hi Chris,

thanks for that - yes I can see that approach makes more sense - I have posted a page which has my layout followed by what I'm getting from the code you posted - if it can be made to match up to the layout that would be great. I'm still not sure how we get all the 4 years one above the other like my layout - or do I create 4 different sections?

http://localhost/nawc/campaigns_list.php

Thanks for your help

Jim